NARA Records Management Staff (NHR)
The NARA Records Management Staff (NHR) directs the internal NARA records management program for managing NARA's own operational records, those records created or maintained by staff while conducting NARA business. Specifically, NHR:
- Develops internal policy and procedures for managing operational records throughout the records life cycle, and offers assistance for implementation.
- Prepares records schedules (SF 115s, Request for Records Disposition Authority), in collaboration with records creators, and submits schedules to the Life Cycle Management Division (NWML) for approval by the Archivist.
- Ensures that records management functionality is part of IT systems design.
- Publishes the NARA Records Schedule.
- Manages the NARA vital records program.
- Arranges for transfers of permanent operational records to the holdings of the National Archives (via SF 258, Agreement to Transfer Records to the National Archives of the United States).
- Approves destruction of operational records stored in all Federal Records Centers (via NA Form 13001, Notice of Eligibility for Disposal).
- Leads special records management projects, particularly for electronic records.
- For Washington, DC area units:
- Manages the Archives II Records Staging Area for the storage of non-current operational records.
- Arranges for transfers of non-current records to the Washington National Records Center (WNRC) (via SF 135, Records Transmittal and Receipt).
- Arranges for retrieval of records from WNRC upon request.