Guide to Archival Holdings at the National Archives Southeast Region (Atlanta)
- Alphabetical List of Record Groups
- Numerical List of Record Groups
- Subject Access (A through L)
- Subject Access (M through Z)
- Record Groups 4 through 49
- Record Groups 53 through 96
- Record Groups 103 through 163
- Record Groups 165 through 295
- Record Groups 310 through 527
Record Group 310
Records of the Agricultural Research Service
The Agricultural Research Administration was established in the Department of Agriculture by an Executive order of February 23, 1942, to coordinate the activities of several scientific bureaus. It was consolidated with these bureaus on November 2, 1953, to form the Agricultural Research Service, which plans, administers, and conducts research and related regulatory programs.
Dates: 1907-1965 Volume: 2 cubic feet
Records of the Naval Stores Laboratory, Olustee, Florida. The records relate to the work of the laboratory in turning timber into high-quality naval stores. They consist primarily of technical and public information publications. Nontextual records include photographs.
Record Group 319
Records of the Army Staff
The Army Staff, dating from 1947, is the military staff of the Secretary of the Army and includes the Chief of Staff and his immediate assistants, the Army General Staff, the Special Staff, and the Administrative and Technical Staffs. Its duties include preparing plans, investigating and reporting on Army efficiency and readiness, preparing instructions for and supervising Army operations, and representing the Secretary of the Army and the Chief of Staff to all Department of Defense organizations. It is also responsible for administrative support such as financial services. The Chief of Finance, part of various subdivisions of the Army Staff, has operated field offices.
Dates: 1947-1950 Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
Records of the Army Services Forces Finance Office, Knoxville. The records document awards to civilian employees for faithful service. The records are orders.
Record Group 326
Records of the Atomic Energy Commission
The Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was established in 1946 to control the development and use of atomic energy, including the encouragement of private participation in research and practical uses of atomic energy. The AEC had responsibility to regulate the use of nuclear materials in order to protect the health and safety of the public. It was concerned with fissionable material supply, development of reactors, development and testing of nuclear weapons, basic and applied research, dissemination of information relating to atomic energy, and development and administration of international cooperation for peaceful uses of atomic energy. The AEC was discontinued on October 11, 1974, and was replaced by two new agencies: the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA, see RG 430) and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC, see RG 431). The functions of ERDA were later incorporated into the Department of Energy when that Department was created in 1977.
Dates: 1942-1973 Volume: 3,260 cubic feet
- Assistant Manager for Public Education, 1944-1968;
- Assistant Manager for Public Education, Oak Ridge Journal, 1944-1948;
- Community Affairs Division, 1943-1960;
- Contracts Division, 1963-1969;
- Engineering and Construction Division, 1947-1966;
- Organization and Personnel Division, 1946-1966;
- Production/Energy Construction Branch, 1947-1949;
- Production Plant Construction Branch, 1947-1950;
- Reactor Division, 1955-1967;
- Research Division, 1944-1966;
- Research and Development Division, 1947-1968, and the successor organization, Research and Technical Support Division, 1969-1973;
- Research and Medicine Division, 1944-1950;
- Security Division, 1950-1962.
The records document the atomic bomb program, the development of civilian uses of nuclear energy, and the construction and management of Oak Ridge. The records are correspondence, journals, news releases, and the newspaper Oak Ridge Journal. Nontextual records include architectural drawings, blueprints, and maps.Records of the following contractors:
- Columbia University, 1942-1947;
- General Electric Company, 1955-1962;
- Linde Air Products, 1942-1947;
- Tennessee Eastman Corporation, 1942-1947;
- Union Carbide Corporation, Experimental Gas Cooled Reactor Project, 1962-1966.
Records of the Manhattan Engineer District (MED), Central Files, 1942-1950. The records relate to all aspects of activities coordinated by the office, including contract work and MED area offices throughout the country. The records consist of correspondence, some headquarters files, and reports.
Records of the New York Operations Office, 1943-1949. The records relate to the atomic bomb program and the development of civilian uses of nuclear energy. The records are correspondence, news releases, and technical reports.
Records of the Savannah River Plant, Aiken, South Carolina, 1950-1972. The records relate to the Technical Production Division, the Dana Plant (a prototype plant in Indiana), and E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., and include budget records, correspondence, minutes of meetings, press releases, project history files, technical reports, and work orders and requests. Nontextual records include drawings, plans, and specifications.
Access to some files or portions of documents may be restricted because of national security.
Record Group 336
Records of the Office of the Chief of Transportation
The Office of the Chief of Transportation was established in the Services of Supply (SOS), War Department on March 2, 1942, to head the Transportation Division. It was abolished by General Order 39 of December 1, 1964. Within the United States, the Office administered a variety of field installations and functions, including ports of embarkation, port agencies, transportation depots, offices, and zones.
Dates: 1943-1964 Volume: 13 cubic feet
- Charleston Transportation and Army Depot, North Charleston, South Carolina, 1946-1964;
- Fernandina, Florida, Branch of the Tampa Port Agency, 1943-1944;
- Headquarters, Fourth Transportation Zone, Atlanta, Georgia, 1944-1946;
- Jacksonville, Florida, Branch of the Tampa Port Agency, 1943-1944;
- Miami, Florida, District Transportation Office, 1942-1945;
- Mobile, Alabama, Branch Transportation Office, 1950-1951;
- Mobile, Alabama, Port Agencies and Port of Embarkation, 1942-1946;
- Montgomery, Alabama, Holding and Reconsignment Point, 1943-1946;
- Port of Embarkation, Charleston, 1942-1944;
- Tampa, Florida, Port Agency, 1943-1945;
- Wilmington Port, Wilmington, North Carolina, 1943-1945.
Record Group 338
Records of the U.S. Army Commands, 1942-
The present system of U.S. Army commands, which are organized both functionally and geographically, emerged from a War Department reorganization of February 28, 1942. The system has a complex administrative structure including massive domestic and overseas operations.
Dates: 1947-1966 Volume: 7 cubic feet
Records of the U.S. Army Audit Agency, Southern Region, Atlanta District, 1960-1966. The records relate to budget, operations, and travel and consist of bulletins, correspondence, general orders, and instructions.Records of U.S. army hospitals at:
- Fort Benning (Martin Army Hospital), Georgia, 1951-1963;
- Fort Bragg, North Carolina, 1956-1963;
- Fort Campbell, Kentucky, 1951-1963;
- Fort Gordon, Georgia, 1950-1965;
- Fort Jackson, South Carolina, 1951-1966;
- Fort Knox (Ireland Army Hospital), Kentucky , 1947-1966;
- Fort McClellan (Noble Army Hospital), Alabama, 1951-1965;
- Fort McPherson, Georgia, 1951-1965;
- Fort Rucker (Lyster Army Hospital), Alabama, 1951-1966;
- Fort Stewart, Georgia, 1958-1963.
- Atlanta Ordnance Automotive School, Atlanta General Depot;
- Second Army Area Food Service School, Fort Knox and sub-school at Camp Breckenridge, Kentucky;
- Third Army Area Food Service School, Fort Bragg, North Carolina and Fort Benning, Georgia.
Record Group 341
Records of Headquarters U.S. Air Force (Air Staff)
Headquarters U.S. Air Force, also known as the Air Staff, was established September 18, 1947, under terms of the National Security Act of 1947. The Chief of Staff is directly responsible to the Secretary of the Air Force and presides over the Air Staff which is divided into five functional groupings each headed by a deputy chief of staff.
Dates: 1948-1955 Volume: 81 cubic feet
Records of the Director of Construction, Assistant Chief of Staff, South Atlantic Region. The records relate the organization and administration, and the development of plans and procedures for Air Force installations in Alabama (11), Florida (25), Georgia (17), Mississippi (7), North Carolina (8), South Carolina (10), Tennessee (4), and Panama (1). Records consist of correspondence, directives, housing studies, personnel records, and textual construction and master plans. Nontextual records include blueprints and maps for U.S. Army airfields, former Army Air Corps installations, and civilian airports.
Entries 498, 499, 500, and 503 in Helene Bowen, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of Headquarters, United States Air Force, NM 15 (1963).
Record Group 342
Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations
at NARA's Southeast Region (Atlanta)
The U.S. Air Force (USAF) was established in 1947 as the successor of the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF), which had developed from a series of military air services dating back to 1907. The record group consists of records of the field organization of the USAF and its predecessors.
Dates: 1953-1969 Volume: 7 cubic feet
Records of Homestead Air Force Base, Florida. The records relate to public affairs and real property and include case files and press releases.
Records of the Contract Management District, Orlando Air Force Base, Florida. The records relate to reimbursement for travel expenses and assignment of personnel. They consist of forms and orders.
Records of the AFROTC Detachment, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. The records relate to promotions, travel, and duties of cadets. They consist of orders.Records of the following units:
- 437th Air Base Group, Military Airlift Command, Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina, 1965-1967;
- 465th Bombardment Wing, Robins Air Force Base, Warner Robins, Georgia, 1965;
- 693rd Radar Squadron, Dauphin Island Air Force Station, Alabama, 1965;
- 2025th Communications Squadron, Hunter Air Force Base, Georgia, 1968.
Records of the following commands:
- Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 585, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina;
- HQ, 437th Air Base Group, Charleston Air Force Base, Charleston, South Carolina;
- HQ, 465th Bombardment Wing, Robins Air Force Base, Macon, Georgia;
- HQ, 693rd Radar Squadron, Dauphin Island Air Force Base, Dauphin Island, Alabama;
- HQ, 810th Radar Squadron, Winston-Salem Air Force Station, North Carolina;
- HQ, 1999th Communications Squadron, Sewart Air Force Base, Sewart, Tennessee;
- HQ, 2025th Communications Squadron, Hunter Air Force Base, Savannah, Georgia;
- HQ, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, Alabama;
- HQ, Homestead Air Force Base, Miami, Florida;
- Orlando Contract Management District, Orlando Air Force Base, Orlando, Florida.
Record Group 355
Records of the National Agricultural Statistics Service
The Bureau of Agricultural Economics was established within the Department of Agriculture on July 1, 1922. It continued the work of conducting studies and disseminating information relating to agricultural production, crop estimates, marketing, finance, labor, and other agricultural programs begun as early as 1903 by several other bureaus. In 1953, it was replaced by the Agricultural Marketing Service and Agricultural Research Service, which were merged in 1961 to form the Economic Research Service. The latter service then became the Statistical Reporting Service in 1981.
Dates: 1909-1971 Volume: 25 cubic feet
- Alabama, 1941-1971;
- Florida, 1951-1962;
- Georgia, 1909-1967;
- North Carolina, 1953-1968;
- South Carolina, 1918-1965;
- Tennessee, 1954-1959.
Record Group 381
Records of the Community Services Administration
The Community Services Administration (CSA), 1976-1981, was established by the Headstart, Economic Opportunity, and Community Partnership Act of 1974 to assume some of the anti-poverty functions of the Office of Economic Opportunity. It was headed by a director assisted by the National Advisory Council on Economic Opportunity. Funding (grants and loans) and job training programs under various titles of the 1974 act were administered regionally through two organizational units, the Office of Community Action and the Office of Economic Development. The CSA was abolished by an Executive order of September 30, 1981, and its functions transferred to other Federal agencies, particularly the Department of Health and Human Services and the Office of Management and Budget.
Dates: 1965-1980 Volume: 18 cubic feet
Records of Region IV Community Action Program (CAP). The records relate to the Head Start and anti-poverty programs carried out by the CAP in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records consist of clippings, correspondence, evaluations, notes, and reports.
Records of the Effective Guidance Division. The records relate to Comprehensive Employment and Training Act (CETA), child care, family planning, and Project Head Start and include correspondence, evaluations, and reports.
Record Group 392
Records of the U.S. Army Coast Artillery Districts and Defenses, 1901-1942
at NARA's Southeast Region (Atlanta)
In 1901, the Artillery Corps was divided into field artillery batteries and coast artillery companies under newly created artillery districts. Each district consisted of harbor defense forts, with accompanying minefields and land defenses. In 1913, the coast artillery districts were redesignated coast defense commands.
Dates: 1901-1946 Volume: 127 cubic feet
- Cape Fear Coast Defenses Command, 1907-1923;
- Charleston Coast Defenses Command, 1906-1919;
- Fort Screven, Georgia, 1901-1923;
- Key West Harbor Defenses Command, 1901-1943;
- Mobile Coast Defenses Command, 1915-1924;
- Pensacola Harbor Defenses Command, 1901-1946;
- Savannah Coast Defenses Command, 1901-1924;
- South Atlantic Coast Artillery District, 1917-1921;
- Tampa Coast Defenses Command, 1903-1922.
Entries 26, 65 through 82, 138 through 151, 167 through 180, 236A, 237 through 250, 237A, 239A, 351 through 360, 353A, 353B, 360A, and 370 through 375, 377 through 379 in Sarah D. Powell, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Textual Records of United States Army Coast Artillery Districts and Defenses, 1901-42, NM 88 (1967).
Record Group 397
Records of the Defense Civil Preparedness Agency
The Defense Civil Preparedness Agency was established in the Department of Defense (DOD) by DOD Directive 5105.43, May 5, 1972, inheriting functions previously undertaken by the Office of Civilian Defense within the Department of the Army. The functions of the Defense Civil Preparedness Agency were to coordinate and direct Federal, State, and local civil defense program activities, including fallout shelters; chemical, biological, and radiological warfare defense; emergency communications and warning systems; postattack assistance and damage assessment; preparedness planning; and government continuity. It was abolished by Executive Order 12148 on July 20, 1979, retroactive to July 15, 1979, and its duties were transferred to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Dates: 1967-1968 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the Office of Civil Defense, Southeast Region (Region 3), Thomasville, Georgia. The records document the program to donate surplus Federal property to state and local governments for use in emergency operations for Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. They consist of annual reviews, correspondence, invoices and certifications, reports, surplus property and sales files.
Record Group 403
Records of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) was established as an independent agency by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (78 Stat. 253) to monitor compliance with and enforce provisions of statutes to end discrimination in employment. The Commission's field offices receive charges of job discrimination under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Equal Pay Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967. Field offices may also initiate charges alleging that a violation of Title VII or the ADA has occurred.
Dates: 1971-1980 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the district office, Memphis. The records document the landmark case, EEOC v. Kimberly-Clark, in which the Commission sued Kimberly-Clark, a Memphis-based paper and tissue products corporation, for race and sex discrimination. This case file includes correspondence, memorandums, personnel files, and statistics.
Record Group 406
Records of the Federal Highway Administration
The Department of Transportation Act of 1966 established the Federal Highway Administration (FHA) and transferred to it the Bureau of Public Roads (see RG 30). The FHA administers Federal financial assistance to the States for highway construction and conducts research and programs relating to highway safety.
Dates: 1962-1983 Volume: 84 cubic feet
Records of Federal aid projects for Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records document acquisition of rights-of-way and construction. They are project case files. Nontextual records include right-of-way maps with references to survey lines and annotations about land ownership, physical features, and existing structures.
Record Group 407
Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-
The Adjutant General's Office was given authority to assign, promote, transfer, retire, and discharge all Army officers and enlisted men under the National Defense Act of 1916. In 1942, it was placed under the Commanding General, Services of Supply (later Army Service Forces). It has responsibility for administrative services including records accounting, management, and publications. The Office's responsibilities were transferred in 1946 to the General Staff, and in 1947 to the new Department of the Army, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel. By memorandum, U.S. Army Chief of Staff, November 17, 1986, the Adjutant General was removed from the Army Staff, and title and lineage were transferred to the Director of Personnel Service Support, Military Personnel Center.
The AGO had responsibility for such administrative services as operation of the Army personnel statistical and accounting system, records management, publications, postal services, and special and heraldic services of the Army. The field offices of the AGO within the United States include publication centers.
Dates: 1945-1948 Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
Records of the Adjutant General Depot and Regional Office, Atlanta. The records relate to administration and consist of correspondence, general orders, histories, and memorandums.
Record Group 412
Records of the Environmental Protection Agency
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was established in the executive branch as an independent agency pursuant to Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1970, effective December 2, 1970. The EPA was created to coordinate Federal action in cooperation with State and local governments to abate and control pollution in the areas of air, water, solid waste, pesticides, radiation, and toxic substances. It conducts research, monitoring, standards setting, and enforcement activities.
Dates: 1967-1988 Volume: 250 cubic feet
Records of the Office of Policy and Managment, Region IV, Atlanta. Region IV included Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records concern public hearings on permits for ocean dumping and pollutant discharge. They are correspondence, news releases and newspaper clippings, notes, reports, and transcripts.
Records of the Air Programs Branch, Region IV, 1972-1974. The records document state plans to attain and maintain national ambient air quality standards. The records consist of compliance schedules, correspondence, plans and amendments, and progress and status reports.
Records of the Legal Support Branch, Region IV, 1972-1973. The records document actions against polluters given warning notices to correct pollution-causing conditions. The records consist of correspondence, news releases, newspaper clippings, reports, and transcripts.
Records of the Water Management Division, Region IV, 1984-1988. The records concern applications for permits for underground injection of salt water into abandoned oil wells. They consist of briefs and reports.
Records of the Water Programs Branch, Water Quality Standards Section, Region IV, 1967-1971. Records concern conferences about setting water quality standards for interstate river basins, environmental problems in the Mississippi River Basin, and preparing recommendations concerning dissolved oxygen and water temperature standards. The records consist of correspondence, reports of conference proceedings, laboratory reports, and memorandums.
Records of the Water Enforcement Branch, Region IV, 1975. The records concern compliance with allowable discharge levels of pollutants, data, and applications for permits to discharge pollutants into navigable waters. They consist of correspondence and reports.
Records of the Office of Policy and Management, Region IV, 1970-1980. The records document data collected to prepare environmental impact statements. Records consist of correspondence, memorandums, and reports.
Records of the Regional Hearing Clerk, 1972-1982. The records document public and adjudicatory hearings on proposed actions of private companies. They consist of correspondence, dockets, exhibits, and transcripts.
Partial draft inventory.
Record Group 414
Records of Regional Committees and Commissions
Records of the U.S. Study Commission--Southeast River Basins
The U.S. Study Commission--Southeast River Basins was established as a joint Federal-State organization by the Act of August 28, 1958, to formulate plans for the conservation, utilization, and development of the land and water resources of specified river basins in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. The Commission completed its final report to the President in early 1962 and was terminated December 23, 1962.
Dates: 1958-1990* Volume: 116 cubic feet
*Records do not cover entire date span
Records of the U.S. Study Commission on Southeast River Basins, Atlanta, 1959-1963. The records document the development of a comprehensive plan for the conservation and development of the land and water resources of the Southeast. Included are background files, minutes, study plans, supporting data files, technical reports, and transcripts of public hearings. Nontextual records include audio tapes, maps, and photographs.
Records of the Southeast Federal Regional Council
The Southeast Federal Regional Council was one of ten councils established by Executive Order 11647 of February 10, 1972, to improve coordination and communication among various Federal organizations involved in programs relating to poverty and public welfare in southern urban areas. The council was composed of regional directors and regional administrators of the Departments of Housing and Urban Development, the Office of Economic Opportunity, the Department of Labor, the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and a regional representative of the Secretary of Transportation, all located in Atlanta. The Council, along with its nine counterparts, was abolished in 1983 by Executive Order 12407.
Dates: 1971-1973 Volume: 3 cubic feet
Records of the Southeast Federal Regional Council, Region IV, Atlanta. The records relate to Federal housing and urban renewal projects. The records include correspondence, project case files, and minutes.
Records of the Lower Mississippi Delta Development Commission
The Lower Mississippi Delta Development Commission was established by an Act of October 1, 1988 (102 Stat. 229) to identify and study the economic development, education, employment, health care, housing, infrastructure, transportation, recreation, and resource development needs of the lower Mississippi region, and establish priorities to alleviate the needs identified.
The Lower Mississippi area was identified as 219 counties and parishes in the States of Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee. The Commission consisted of nine members, seven appointed by the governors of the affected states, and two appointed by the President. Wilbur F. Hawkins served as Executive Director and the AgriCenter International in Memphis, Tennessee, was designated headquarters for the Commission. The first meeting of the Commission was held on March 3, 1989, in Little Rock, Arkansas, with Governor Bill Clinton as chairman.
The Commission met in formal as well as work sessions, held public hearings, and conducted conferences and discussions. It also contracted with private individuals, research organizations, special interest groups, area colleges and universities, and local and regional government agencies to prepare research papers or sponsor conferences on issues under study.
The Commission issued an interim report, Body of the Nation, on October 16, 1989, and a final report, The Delta Initiatives: Realizing the Dream...Fulfilling the Potential, on May 14, 1990. The Commission terminated its operations on September 30, 1990.
Dates: 1989-1990 Volume: 5.5 cubic feet
Records of the Lower Mississippi Delta Development Commission, Memphis. The records relate to prioritizing the economic and resource development needs of the Lower Mississippi River region consisting of 219 counties in Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee. Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton was Chairman of the Commission. Other members included Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus, and Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer. The Commission sponsored nine conferences throughout the region and contracted for 26 research papers on such topics as tourism, rural poverty and family life, agriculture, youth, community leadership, and private philanthropy. The records include contract files, Executive Director's files, minutes of meetings, news clippings, press releases, publications, and transcripts of testimony at public hearings. Nontextual records include maps.
Record Group 431
Records of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Established as an independent agency by the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974 (88 Stat. 1242), the NRC became operational on January 19, 1975, taking up the duties of the former Atomic Energy Commission. The NRC regulates the civilian uses of nuclear energy by licensing persons and companies to own and use nuclear materials, and to build and operate nuclear reactors. It also conducts inspections to ensure compliance with licensing standards. Five regional offices assist the Bethesda, Maryland, headquarters. Region II is located in Atlanta.
Dates: 1974-1982 Volume: 2 cubic feet
Records of the Public Affairs Office, Region II, Atlanta. The records relate to informing the public about Commission's regulation of the nuclear energy industry including prevention of nuclear-related emergencies and include briefings, press releases, and transcripts of speeches.
Index to press releases.
Record Group 433
Records of the Mine Safety and Health Administration
In May 1973, a Department of the Interior order created the Mining Enforcement and Safety Administration (MESA) and moved the functions of the Health and Safety Division of the Bureau of Mines to MESA. The Mine Safety and Health Administration, created by the Federal Mine Safety and Health Amendment Act of 1977 (91 Stat. 1319), absorbed the functions of MESA.
The Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act of 1969 gave the Administration strong enforcement provisions to protect the Nation's coal miners and in 1977 the Congress passed amendments which strengthened the act by expanding the Administration's responsibilities to the noncoal mining industry.
Dates: 1926-1981 Volume: 76 cubic feet
Records of the Special Investigations Department, District 6, Pikeville, Kentucky. The records relate to the investigation of fatal mine accidents and remedial actions. They consist of correspondence, reports, and transcripts.
Records of District 6, Pikeville, and District 7, Barbourville, Kentucky. The records relate to permanently closed coal mines and to identifying work places, elevations, access routes, and ventilation systems of the mines. They are nontextual records and include plans and original maps.
For Districts 6 and 7: item list.
Record Group 435
Records of the Indian Arts and Crafts Board
at NARA's Southeast Region (Atlanta)
The Board was established by an act of August 27, 1935 (49 Stat. 891), to serve Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, and the general public as an informational, promotional, and advisory clearinghouse for all matters pertaining to the development of authentic Indian and Eskimo arts and crafts. It receives administrative support from the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Dates: 1958-1983 Volume: 13 cubic feet
Records of the Seminole Field Office, Dania, Florida, and the Cherokee Field Office, Cherokee, North Carolina. The records relate to efforts to promote Indian arts and crafts and to expand marketability of native American wares such as baskets and woven goods and include correspondence, brochures, and financial reports. Nontextual records include audio tapes and photographs of artists and their work.
Record Group 442
Records of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the Federal agency charged with protecting the public health of the nation by providing leadership and direction in the prevention and control of diseases and other preventable conditions and by responding to public health emergencies.
The agency began in the World War II era as Malaria Control in War Areas. It has since undergone numerous reorganizations as part of the Public Health Service. The present name was assigned by the Preventive Health Amendments of 1992.
Dates: 1887-1983 Volume: 600 cubic feet
- Interagency Commission on Back Contamination relating to returning lunar missions;
- Office of the Director;
- Office of Information;
- Office of Facilities Planning;
- Office of Management Analysis;
- Office of Training;
- Public Advisory Commission;
- World Health Organization Liaison.
Records of the following branches, divisions, offices, and centers:
- Bacterial Disease Branch, 1966-1970, concerning the investigation, diagnosis, treatment, or control of communicable, vector-borne, and other preventable conditions, such as salmonella, shigella, and botulism;
- Environmental Health and Injury Control, Center for , 1952-1970, relating to studies of environmental health topics;
- Epidemiology Branch, 1927-1973, concerning the study of polio, influenza, salmonella, and other diseases, bacteria, and viruses;
- Family Planning Evaluation Division, 1970-1974, relating to research in the field of family planning;
- Federal Advisory Committee, 1961-1978, relating to the work of members of the public and non-Federal employees from the fields of education, medicine, public health, research who advise the CDC on health issues;
- Foreign Quarantine Program, 1958-1969, relating to activities of the program worldwide;
- Health Education Task Force, 1971-73, relating to identifying the current state of health education and devising strategies to improve it;
- Immunization Branch, 1967-1972, relating to health studies on various diseases, such as rubella, mumps, hepatitis, and cholera;
- Infectious Diseases, National Center for, 1951-1983, documenting biological warfare, the study of infectious diseases, vector control, and initial tracking of non-risk group HIV infection resulting from contaminated blood transfusions;
- Laboratory Branch, 1952-1964, relating to the study of various diseases;
- Malarial Eradication Bureau/Technical Development Laboratories, Savannah,1943-1951, providing historical information concerning the malaria eradication program;
- Management Analysis Branch, 1887-1961, relating to activities of the Public Health Service, the Hospital Service, and the Marine Hospital Service;
- Medical Audiovisual Branch, 1964-1965, relating to the assessment of medical communication resources in Columbia, South America;
- Medical Audiovisual Center, National, 1954-1965, relating to the production and distribution of films for public health information and health-professional training;
- Nutrition Program, 1955-1968, relating to surveying the nutrition needs of the United States and foreign countries.
- Occupational Safety and Health, National Institute of, 1971-1975, relating to evaluation of its program objectives and accomplishments;
- State and Community Services Division, 1955-1971, relating to the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of tuberculosis;
- Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Agency for, 1990-1992, concerning its mission to study and eliminate the negative health effects of solid toxic waste;
- Tropical Disease Program, Bureau of Tropical Diseases, 1943-1973, and San Juan (Puerto Rico) Tropical Disease Laboratory, 1970, relating to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of tropical diseases;
- Venereal Disease Branch, 1929-1972, relating to the Tuskegee syphilis study, as well as to venereal disease seminars, workshops, and conferences;
- Veterinary Public Health, Office of, 1964-70, relating to research in veterinary medicine and the treatment of diseases in animals.
Box contents lists for some records.
Access to some files or portions of documents may be restricted because of privacy concerns.
Record Group 452
Records of the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration
The American Revolution Bicentennial Administration (ARBA) was established by an act of December 11, 1973, to stimulate, coordinate, schedule, and facilitate the planning and implementation of projects, events, and activities to celebrate 200 years of American life. It replaced the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, which was established by an act of July 4, 1966. The ARBA worked closely with State Bicentennial Commissions to plan and conduct a wide variety of programs and provided grants-in-aid for various activities. The ARBA was terminated on June 30, 1977, pursuant to the terms of the 1973 act.
Dates: 1972-1976 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the regional office, Atlanta. The records document commemorative activities involving state and local officials, Members of Congress, public and private institutions, and the general public in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The records include correspondence and monthly reports.
Record Group 511
Records of the Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
at NARA's Southeast Region (Atlanta)
The Narcotic Farms Act of January 19, 1929, established a Narcotics Division as an agency of the Public Health Service, then part of the Department of the Treasury. On April 11, 1953, the Public Health Service was transferred to the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare (HEW).
The Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration (ADAMHA) was established as a constituent unit of the Public Health Service on September 25, 1973 as a result of an HEW reorganization. ADAMHA consisted of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), and National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). When the Department of Health, Education and Welfare was split into the Department of Education and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on May 4, 1980, ADAMHA became an element of HHS.
The ADAMHA was renamed Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration by an Act of July 10, 1992. Under this act, treatment functions exercised by ADAMHA were transferred to the new agency and NIMH, NIAAA, and NIDA were transferred to the National Institutes of Health as research agencies.
ADAMHA administered, through its component units, programs of research and treatment in areas of substance abuse (alcohol and drugs) and mental health.
Dates: 1929-1973 Volume: 10 cubic feet
- Administrative, 1936-1972
- Financial, 1937-1973
- Personnel, 1961-1974
- Property, Buildings, and Repair, 1929-1973
- Public Relations, 1939-1973
Record Group 527
Records of the United States Marshals Service
The Judiciary Act of September 24, 1789, made provision for U.S. attorneys and marshals who are appointed by the President and have functioned under the general supervision of the Department of Justice since its creation in 1870. U.S. marshals execute and serve writs, processes, and orders issued by U.S. courts, U.S. commissioners or magistrates, and commissions. They also notify the Department of Justice of defiance of Federal authority.
Dates: 1885-1926 Volume: 1 cubic foot
Records of the U.S. Marshal, Southern District of Alabama, Mobile. The records relate to violations of neutrality laws, peonage cases, World War I enemy aliens and the Industrial Workers of the World (I.W.W.), as well as administrative matters such as appointments, personnel, and salaries. Included are appointment and commission certificates, correspondence, and newspaper clippings.
Records of the U.S. Marshal, Southern District of Florida, Key West. The records relate to administrative matters such as pay of bailiffs and criers; marshal expenses and fees; food, clothing, transportation, and other support of prisoners; costs associated with the pursuit, seizure, storage, repair, and sale of vessels involved in rumrunning, smuggling, and other illegal activities; and fingerprinting procedures. The records consist of account and cash books, circulars, correspondence, and telegrams.