Ways to Comment
- Send comments via regulations.gov or by fax, postal mail, hand delivery or courier (consult the "Addresses" section of the relevant proposed rule).
Comment on Draft Policy
We welcome your comments. Comments that you send us help inform our decisions and policies concerning our service to you. Once we receive your comments, we will consider them carefully. Public comments become a permanent part of the case file, and may be available for public review.
If you have a suggestion, compliment, or complaint about any of our services and products (other than draft policy), please send us a message using our online form.
Currently Open for Public Comment:
NARA creates regulations or "rules" that state how we fulfill our agency's mission, meet statutory requirements, and conduct business with other agencies and the general public. We publish our regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) under 36 CFR Chapter XII, and they are organized into subchapters based on topics like agency functions, oversight responsibilities, or how people access the records we hold.
DIRECT FINAL RULE: NARA Records Subject to FOIA (published August 21, 2014, Volume 79-162, on pages 49452-49454)
SUMMARY:The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is changing its list of facilities to include the new George W. Bush Presidential Library and to update addresses and contact numbers for records centers and archival research rooms outside of the Washington, DC area.
DATE: This rule is effective September 22, 2014, without further action, unless NARA receives adverse comments by September 10, 2014. If NARA receives an adverse comment, it will publish a timely withdrawal of the rule in the Federal Register.
Records Schedule Notices
Record schedules authorize the preservation of records of continuing value in the National Archives of the United States and the destruction, after a specified period, of records lacking administrative, legal, research, or other value. Agencies must follow a records schedule's mandatory instructions on what to do with the records once they are no longer needed for current Government business and the Archivist of the United States approves the schedule.
NARA publishes notices in the Federal Register to allow public comment on proposed records schedules before the Archivist gives his approval.
- [NARA-2014-050] Notice published August 26, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 165 - pages 50953-50954). Request for copies due no later than September 25, 2014.
Notices on proposed information collections (e.g., forms and surveys completed by nonfederal entities and individuals) describe the collection, how we will use the information, and our estimate of the reporting burden to respondents.
- [NARA-2014-051] Title: Generic Clearance for the Collection of Qualitative Feedback on Agency Service Delivery.; published September 2, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 169 - page 52056-52057). Comments due no later than October 2, 2014.
- [NARA-2014-053] Title: NARA Visitors Study; published September 2, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 169 - page 52056). Comments due no later than October 2, 2014.
- [NARA-2014-052] Title: Researcher Application; published September 3, 2014 (Volume 79, Number 170 - page 52372). Comments due no later than November 3, 2014.
Other Requests for Public Comment:
There are no other requests currently awaiting comments.