Handbill in Japanese and English Translation,
United States v. George Fujii, ca. 1943
TO THE GENTLEMEN OF 17 YEARS TO 38 YEARS OF AGE
As you know fellow Americans, at last they did recog-nize and realize that we are Americans. We are going to be drafted soon, just like an American outside enjoying the free-dom and liberty. But, don’t you think they should reconsider the steps that they had taken?
As we believe that Mr. Roosevelt’s speech at the Con-gress was not merely an excuse to draft us to soldier’s and die in vain, we are demanding the following as an American Citizen:
(1) Personal apology from Gen. DeWitt regarding his state-ment “Jap is Jap” and he expelled from his office. We also want apology from Major Bowron and Gov. Warren, and American Legion of Cal.
(2) Freedom, Rights and Privilege should not be denied in California, militarily, economically, and politically.
(3) Open the barb-wire and withdraw the Guard-duty of M.P.
(4) Such signs as “No Jap”, “You Rat”, “No Orientals or Colored admitted” and etc. which were familiar in Calif-ornia, must be taken down throughout the U.S.A.
(5) No discrimination upon the Japanese securing occupations.
(6) Every opportunity must be given to the Japanese soldier for advancement in the Air Corps, in the Army, and in the Marine Corps.
(7) Japanese soldier must be mixed with other Caucasian solder to fight side by side.
VOICE OF NISEI