Centers Information Processing System Users Manual
Part 3. Accessing the Reference Request System
1. Select Terminal Type When the PC and mainframe programs are successfully connected, the screen below automatically appears. The terminal type entered in response to the prompt tells the mainframe that the PC is emulating an IBM 3270 terminal.
At the prompt, type PCOMP and press ENTER.
Important IBM 3270 Keyboard Notes: 1. Do not use the number keypad portion of the PC keyboard, as the mainframe computer willnot recognize these keys. Use the numbers on the alpha/numeric portion of the keyboard.
2. ENTER. This application uses both keys marked ENTER, but each performs a different function.
- ENTER. The ENTER key associated with the numeric keypad on the
right hand side of the keyboard is referred to as the ENTER key. This key functions as a transmit key. A screen may have one or more fields which collectively comprise the transmit record. Once the entire set of fields is complete, press ENTER to send the screen information to the mainframe.
- CR. The enter key usually shaped like a backward L, containing an arrow pointing to the left and associated with the alpha portion of the keyboard, is referred to as the CR (carriage return) key. The CR key functions as a field advance key. Once an entry in a field or subfield is complete, press CR to advance to the next field. If desired, the tab key can be configured to perform the same function.
3. CTRL-R. The IBM 3270 terminal emulation program does not recognize nor transmit some movements of the cursor keys to the mainframe program. Improper use of these keys may cause the program to lock. To recover from a locked condition, press CTRL-R. This will reset the program to the field where the error occurred. To prevent this error, leave at least one blank space after the : which designates the beginning of each field.
4. ALT-H. To disconnect the phone line press ALT-H. Before executing this command, the user should exit the CIPS program in the proper sequence by pressing first the F9 key and then the F10 key (see Accept/Cancel/Edit Reference Request).
5. ALT-X. To disconnect the phone lines, exit PROCOMM PLUS, and return to DOS or WINDOWS, execute the ALT-X command. At the Return to DOS? prompt, type Y. Before executing this command, the user should exit the CIPS program in the proper sequence by pressing first the F9 key and then the F10 key (see Accept/Cancel/Edit Reference Request).