Guide to the Records of the U.S. House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989 (Record Group 233)
Chapter 11. Records of the Government Operations Committee and Its Predecessors
Records of the Government Operations Committee and Its Predecessors, 1814-1988 from Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States
Committees discussed in this chapter:
- Public Expenditures (1814-80)
- Expenditures in the Navy Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the Post Office Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the Treasury Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the State Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the War Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures on the Public Buildings (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the Interior Department (1860-1927)
- Expenditures in the Justice Department (1874-1927)
- Expenditures in the Agriculture Department (1889-1927)
- Expenditures in the Commerce and Labor Departments (1905-13)
- Expenditures in the Commerce Department (1913-27)
- Expenditures in the Labor Department (1913-27)
- Expenditures in the Executive Department (1927-52)
- Government Operations (1952-68)
Records of the Committee on Expenditures in the Navy Department (1816-1927)
11.33 The earliest records of this committee are from the 16th Congress (1819-21).
Records of the Committee on Expenditures in the Navy Department, 14th-69th Congresses (1816-1927)
|Record Type||Volume||Dates (Congresses)|
|Minute Books||3 volumes||1891-93 (52nd), 1907-11 (60th-61st)|
|Docket Books||1 volume||1907-09 (60th)|
|Petitions and Memorials||1 inch||1865-67 (39th)|
|Committee Papers||1 foot||1819-21 (16th), 1829-35 (21st-23d), 1943-45 (28th), 1959-61 (36th), 1875-77 (44th), 1887-89 (50th), 1893-95 (53rd), 1907-09 (60th), 1919-21 (66th)|
|Total volume||1 foot and 4 volumes (4 in.)|
|Committee Records Summary Table|
11.34 Few petitions and memorials exist for this committee. One that has been preserved is a January 1867 petition by employees of the Washington Navy Yard requesting an increase their pay (39A-H9.1).
11.35 Most of the committee papers concern accounting for the contingency expenditures in the Navy Department; investigating contracting practices (28A-D8.1, 36A-D7.1, 44A-F11.1); and reviewing pay and allowances (16A-D7.1, 66A-F12.2). Records relating to President Theodore Roosevelt's communication to Congress of February 25, 1909, concerning the needs of the Navy are included in this series (60A-F16.1).
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to the Records of the United States House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition (Doct. No. 100-245). By Charles E. Schamel, Mary Rephlo, Rodney Ross, David Kepley, Robert W. Coren, and James Gregory Bradsher. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1989.