Guide to the Records of the U.S. House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989 (Record Group 233)
Chapter 11. Records of the Government Operations Committee and Its Predecessors
Table of Contents
Records of the Government Operations Committee and Its Predecessors, 1814-1988 from Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States
Committees discussed in this chapter:
- Public Expenditures (1814-80)
- Expenditures in the Navy Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the Post Office Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the Treasury Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the State Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the War Department (1816-1927)
- Expenditures on the Public Buildings (1816-1927)
- Expenditures in the Interior Department (1860-1927)
- Expenditures in the Justice Department (1874-1927)
- Expenditures in the Agriculture Department (1889-1927)
- Expenditures in the Commerce and Labor Departments (1905-13)
- Expenditures in the Commerce Department (1913-27)
- Expenditures in the Labor Department (1913-27)
- Expenditures in the Executive Department (1927-52)
- Government Operations (1952-68)
Records of the Committee on Expenditures in the State Department (1816-1927)
11.44 The earliest records for this committee date from the 17th Congress (1821-23).
|Record Type||Volume||Dates (Congresses)|
|Minute Books||3 volumes||1879-81 (46th), 1907-09 (60th), 1911-15 (62d-63d)|
|Docket Books||4 volumes||1877-81 (45th-46th), 1885-87 (49th), 1907-09 (60th), 1911-13 (62d)|
|Bound Reports||1 volume||1827-39 (20th-25th)|
|Committee Papers||2 feet||1821-25 (17th-18th), 1827-33 (20th-22d), 1835-39 (23d-25th), 1843-45 (28th), 1875-81 (44th-46th), 1909-13 (61st-62d), 1919-27 (66th-69th)|
|Total volume||2 feet amd 7 volumes (7 in.)|
|Committee Records Summary Table|
11.45 The committee papers include one volume of committee reports covering the period April 5, 1828 to May 26, 1838.
11.46 The committee infrequently conducted investigations of financial irregularities by Department personnel. Among the committee papers are records concerning several investigations undertaken during the 1876-79 period on financial dealings of American diplomatic personnel and fiscal operations in American diplomatic and consular offices (44A-F13.1, 44A-F13.2, 46A-F12.1, 46A-F12.2, 46A-F12.3, 46A-F12.4).
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to the Records of the United States House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition (Doct. No. 100-245). By Charles E. Schamel, Mary Rephlo, Rodney Ross, David Kepley, Robert W. Coren, and James Gregory Bradsher. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1989.