Guide to the Records of the U.S. Senate at the National Archives (Record Group 46)
Chapter 7. Records of the Committee on Commerce and Related Committees, 1816-1968
Records of Committees Relating to Commerce, 1816-1988 from Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States
Committee records discussed in this chapter:
- Commerce and Manufactures Committee (1816-25)
- Commerce Committee (1825-1946)
- Manufactures Committee (1825-1946)
- Pacific Railroad Committee (1863-73)
- Railroads Committee (1873-1921)
- Pacific Railroads Committees (1889-1921)
- Transportation Routes to the Seaboard Committee (1879-1921)
- Mississippi River and Its Tributaries Committee (1879-1921)
- Interoceanic Canals Committee (1899-1946)
- Fisheries Committee (1884-1921)
- Industrial Expositions Committee (1899-1921)
- Standards, Weights, and Measures Committee (1909-21)
- Interstate Commerce Committee (1887-1946)
- Interstate and Foreign Commerce Committee (1947-61)
- Commerce Committee (1961-68)
- Aeronautical and Space Sciences Committee (1958-68)
Records of the Committees on Standards, Weights, and Measures, 1909-21
7.53 The Committee on Standards, Weights, and Measures was among the former select committees that became standing committees in 1909 at the beginning of the 61st Congress. It was abolished in 1921 along with many other obsolete committees.
7.54 The records of the standing committee consist of committee papers, 1918 (3 in.), and petitions, memorials, and resolutions of State legislatures referred to the committee, 1911-21 (1/4 in.). The committee papers comprise the records of its investigation, pursuant to S. Res. 259, 65th Cong., into the denial of a patent to S.M. Herber for a process of extracting gasoline from petroleum. The records include unpublished transcripts of hearings on the Herber process for extracting motor fuels, July 7-Sept. 10, 1918; hearing exhibits, and copies of the resolution authorizing the investigation. There are also brief minutes for 1918, and a small amount of correspondence (65A-F22). The petitions concern adoption of the metric system (66A-J55) and other subjects related to uniform standards of measurement. There is also 1 in. of petitions and memorials for the select committee. Legislative case files, 1901-21, may be found in the series of papers supporting specific bills and resolutions.
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to the Records of the United States Senate at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition (Doct. No. 100-42). By Robert W. Coren, Mary Rephlo, David Kepley, and Charles South. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1989.