Getting Ready for National History Day
- Grades: 6th through 12th
- Capacity: 15-35 Students
- Chaperones: 1 for every 10 Students
- Duration: 1.5 to 3 hours
- Availability: Monday-Friday (except Federal holidays)
- Cost: Free
- National History Day Topics from the National Archives at New York City
- Standards met for U.S. History.
Getting Ready for National History Day: Student Workshop
Each year, thousands of students from across the country participate in the National History Day program. Also occurring each year, hundreds of students from New York and New Jersey visit the National Archives at New York City to find out how to best prepare for the local, state and national competitions.
National History Day is a year-long program that involves students in Grades 6-12 choosing a topic related to an annual theme, researching the topic at libraries, archives, museums and historic sites, and sharing their knowledge about the topic through exhibits, essays, documentaries, websites, or performances.
The National Archives at New York City offers a free, curriculum-based, student workshop to support National History Day competitors from the New York City metropolitan area. We also encourage students to choose a topic for research from the original records of the National Archives at New York City.
In our Getting Ready for National History Day student workshop, participants:
- Discover how to locate and utilize primary sources from the National Archives.
- Analyze primary source documents to increase critical thinking and research skills.
- Understand the research process and the importance of citing records properly.
- Review the significance to determine the relevance of primary sources to the research topic.
- Discuss strategies for incorporating primary sources into their projects.
- Research original records at our New York City facility.
Participants in this student workshop will also receive a tour and overview of other important historical documents held by the National Archives.
Note: The Getting Ready for National History Day program can be customized to explore several specific topics. Contact us to find out more details
Reserving a Workshop
To find out more about the Getting Ready For National History Day student workshop, email the National Archives at New York City, or call 1-866-840-1752.