NARA Bulletin 2006-03
December 23, 2005
TO: Heads of Federal agencies
SUBJECT: Availability of the Federal Enterprise Architecture Records Management Profile, version 1.0
EXPIRATION DATE: December 31, 2008 (per NARA Bulletin 2007-01)
1. What is the purpose of this bulletin? This bulletin announces the public release of the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) Records Management Profile, version 1.0 (RM Profile, v. 1.0). The FEA RM Profile is available on the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) web site at: http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/policy/rm-profile.html. NARA will distribute electronic copies of the guidance to agency records officers and chief information officers.
2. What is the background for this bulletin?
- The FEA RM Profile was developed jointly by NARA, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and the Architecture and Infrastructure Committee (AIC) of the Chief Information Officers (CIO) Council in connection with initiatives supporting the President's Management Agenda for electronic Government.
- The FEA RM Profile provides a framework that overlays, or cross-cuts, the inter-related Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) reference models: the Business Reference Model, the Service Component Reference Model, the Technical Reference Model, the Data Reference Model, and the Performance Reference Model. The Records Management Profile explains how the reference models provide a context for embedding recordkeeping requirements and effective records management practices into agency business processes.
- Agencies should use the FEA RM Profile:
(1) To ensure that common and consistent records management procedures and practices are built into agency work processes, enterprise architectures, capital planning and investment control (CPIC) processes, and information systems. NARA has recently released guidance relating to electronic records management and E-Government in NARA Bulletin 2006-02, NARA Guidance for Implementing Section 207(e) of the E-Government Act of 2002.
(2) To develop a strategy for aligning your programs to the Electronic Records Management (ERM) E-Government Initiatives implementation plan and to facilitate fulfillment of your agency's "commitment" Memorandum of Understanding with the ERM E-Government Initiative.
- The FEA RM Profile is intended for all business owners and program managers who make informed decisions about business needs and risks and information technology services. It applies equally to agency records management and information technology staff and supports the development of integrated approaches to managing agency data, records, and information.
3. When will the FEA Records Management Profile, v. 1.0, expire? The FEA Records Management Profile, v. 1.0, will continue to be in effect until superceded. NARA will announce any changes to the RM Profile in a new NARA Bulletin.
4. Whom do I contact for additional information?
- NARA's Life Cycle Management Division provides assistance and advice to agency records officers of agencies headquartered in the Washington, DC, area and the Records Management staff in NARA's regional offices provides assistance and advice to agency records officers of agencies headquartered in the field. Your agency's records officer may contact the NARA appraiser or records analyst with whom your agency normally works for support in carrying out this bulletin. A list of the appraisal and scheduling work group and regional contacts is posted on the NARA web site at http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/appraisal/.
- The Records Management staff in NARA's regional offices provides assistance to agency records officers across the country. A complete list of NARA regional facilities may be found at http://www.archives.gov/locations/index.html.
- If you need more general information about the contents of this bulletin, please contact Laurence Brewer, Director of the Life Cycle Management Division at Laurence.Brewer@nara.gov or on 301-837-1539.
Archivist of the United States
Top of Page