With the issuance of the Managing Government Records Directive (M-12-18), Goal 1.2, agencies are required to manage both permanent and temporary email records in an accessible electronic format by December 31, 2016.
- 2014-06: Guidance on Managing Email
- OMB Memo M-14-16: Guidance on Managing Email
- 2014-04: Appendix A, Revised Format Guidance for the Transfer of Permanent Electronic Records - Tables of File Formats
- 2013-03: Guidance for Agency Employees on the Management of Federal Records, Including Email Accounts, and the Protection of Federal Records from Unauthorized Removal, September 09, 2013
- 2013-02: Guidance on a New Approach to Managing Email Records (Capstone)
- 2011-03: Guidance Concerning the use of E-mail Archiving Applications to Store E-mail, December 30, 2010
- 2014-04: Revised Format Guidance for the Transfer of Permanent Electronic Records, February 4, 2014
- 2007-02: Guidance concerning the use of Enterprise Rights Management (ERM) and other encryption-related software on Federal records
- 2005-04: Availability of electronic records management guidance for PKI digital signature authenticated and secured transaction records, March 28, 2005
- FAQs About Managing Federal Records In Cloud Computing Environments
- FAQs About Transferring Electronic Records to NARA
- Toolkit for Managing Electronic Records
To aid agencies in meeting the requirements of Goal 1.2, NARA issued guidance on an optional approach to managing email records called Capstone. Using this approach, an agency can categorize and schedule email based on the work and/or position of the email account owner in an agency.
NARA held a series of workshops on the Capstone Approach between September 2013 and November 2013. Below is a recording of one of the sessions along with associated handouts.
Below are resources providing information on how NARA implemented their own Capstone Approach. Included are various sample documents used throughout this process.
- Video -3/11/14 Capstone Technical Webinar Through the ERM Automation Working Group
- Slide deck - 3/11/14 Capstone Technical Webinar Through the ERM Automation Working Group
- Video - Recording from the 2/4/2014 Capstone session, Session 1: A presentation on NARA's own implementation of the Capstone approach, led by NARA's (former) Records Officer, Susan J. Sullivan, CRM.
- Presentation from the 2/4/2014 Capstone session, Session 1
- Video: Recording from the 2/4/2014 Capstone session, Section 2: A panel Q&A session with NARA email experts.
- Sample: Agency Issued FAQ on Email (NARA)
- Sample: Agency User Guide for Managing Email (NARA)
- Sample: Capstone Policy Guidance
- Sample: Email Management Configuration
- Sample: Quick Guide Email Setup and Capture (NARA)
- Sample: Statement of Work (NARA)
Below are additional resources meant to aid agencies in implementation aspects of a Capstone approach.
- Video-Managers Briefing
- Slide deck - Managers Briefing
- Video- Legal Counsel Briefing
- Slide deck - Legal Counsel Briefing
- Technical Planning Checklist
Updated: September 22, 2014