October 22, 2013
MEMORANDUM TO FEDERAL AGENCY CONTACTS: Annual Records Management Requirements Reporting Period Now Open
Today, we opened the annual records management reporting requirements period.
Due to the recent government shutdown, the beginning of the reporting period was delayed. In consultation with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), we have extended the reporting deadline from December 31, 2013 to January 31, 2014.
The following list provides detailed explanations of what reports are required, when reports are due, and how to submit reports to NARA.
- Senior Agency Official (SAO) annual report: Progress towards specific goals or requirements in NARA/OMB M-12-18, Managing Government Records Directive. You should have received instructions and the template for the report on August 29, 2013. (SEE AC 29 2013: Senior Agency Official Annual Report Template). The template is attached again here for your convenience. Reports should be sent to PRMD@nara.gov by Friday, January 31, 2014.
- Records Management Self Assessment (RMSA): Record Officers and others officially assigned to respond to the 2013 RMSA should have received today a link to enter your agency's data.
For security reasons, this link cannot be forwarded to other individuals so it is imperative that we have the correct point-of-contact information for your agency. If you did not receive this link and think you should have or if you received the link and are no longer responsible for completing the RMSA for your agency please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2013.
Attached are MS Word and Fill-able PDF versions of the 2013 RMSA for your convenience to use while gathering information and compiling the official response. Please do not return either of these forms to us. Your agency's official response must be entered into the survey tool using the link described above.
You will have until 11:59 p.m. EST Friday, January 31, 2014 to complete the self-assessment. We will be unable to accept submissions through the online system after this date.
- Directive Requirements - 2.2 and 2.5: As part of this year's RMSA, you must submit your agency's responses to two requirements established in the Managing Government Records Directive:
- Part I, Section 2, Requirement 2.2 requires your agency to identify for transfer its permanent records that have been in existence for more than 30 years and report this information to NARA.
- Part I, Section 2, Requirement 2.5 requires your agency's Records Officer to identify all unscheduled records in your agency. This requirement also covers all records stored at NARA and in other storage facilities that have not been properly scheduled.
Your agency's responses to these requirements must be submitted using the spreadsheets provided by NARA earlier this year. (See AC 23.2013: NARA/OMB M-12-18, Goals Due on or Before December 31, 2013.) If your agency did not receive copies of the spreadsheets, contact us immediately. All spreadsheets must be sent to email@example.com by January 31, 2014.
- Annual SAO Designation: please reaffirm or designate a new SAO by sending the name, title, agency, office, email, phone number, and address information of the agency SAO to PRMD@nara.gov by November 15, 2013. Please note that this is the only deadline not changed due to the furlough.
Please note: These reports could be subject to public release pursuant to FOIA. Please let us know if there is any portion of your responses that you believe should not be released, along with the basis for withholding.
If you have any questions regarding the Directive, please contact Lisa.Haralampus@nara.gov or PRMD@nara.gov. If you have any questions regarding the RMSA, please contact Cindy.Smolovik@nara.gov or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PAUL M. WESTER, JR.
Chief Records Officer
for the U.S. Government