Office of Records Management Oversight
The Office of Records Management Oversight under the Records Management Policy and Enforcement Division of the Office of the Chief Records Officer for the U.S. Government is responsible for monitoring compliance with records management regulations and implementation of NARA policies, guidance and other records management best practices by federal agencies. We do this by a combination of inspections, records management program reviews, surveys and assessments, including the annual Records Management Self Assessment (RMSA).
Under 44 U.S.C. 2904(c)(7) and 2906, NARA has the authority to conduct inspections or surveys of the records and records management practices of Federal agencies for the purpose of providing recommendations for improvements. The criteria for selecting agencies for inspection or records management program review include, but are not limited to, the results of an agency's annual records management self-assessment, the significance of certain records and the related business processes, the risk of improper management of records, and the presence of important issues that are relevant to management of Federal records in general.
Each inspection or review focuses on one or more specific elements of an agency's records management program.
Below is the report for each inspection or review conducted:
Fiscal Year 2013
- Inspection Report: Department of Homeland Security Shared Use of Alien Registration Files by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Inspection Report: Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration: Records Management Practices at the National Laboratories: Sandia, Lawrence Livermore, and Los Alamos
Fiscal Year 2012
- Inspection Report: Management of Soft Copy Mapping Products in the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency
Fiscal Year 2011
- Inspection Report: Management of Hard Copy Mapping Products in the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- Inspection Report: Records Management in the Office of the Secretary of Defense