Military Resources: Afghanistan
- Afghanistan: 10 Stories in 10 Years
PBS presents ten significant stories from the first ten years of the war in Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan Casualties: Military Forces and Civilians
A 2012 report from the Congressional Research Service.
- Afghanistan: The Harrison Forman Collection
This online exhibit documents the life and culture of Afghanistan in the late 1960s, several years before the Soviet Union invaded the country.
- Afghanistan International Security Assistance Force
ISAF is a NATO organization that "conducts operations in Afghanistan to reduce the capability and will of the insurgency, support the growth in capacity and capability of the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF), and facilitate improvements in governance and socio-economic development in order to provide a secure environment for sustainable stability that is observable to the population."
- Afghanistan War Medal of Honor Recipients
- A listing of recipients of the Medal of Honor for actions during the war in Afghanistan.
- Air Power against Terror: America's Conduct of Operation Enduring Freedom
- RAND Corporation's monograph about the war in Afghanistan.
- America's Battalion
National Public Radio's series following the Marines of the 2nd Battalion, 8th Regiment deployment to Afghanistan in 2009.
- Annotated Bibliography of Government Documents Related to the Threat of Terrorism & the Attacks of September 11, 2001
- The documents cited in this bibliography were produced by the United States Government concerning the events of September 11. The bibliography includes documents produced by Congress, the President, Department of the Army, Department of Defense, State Department, and many more.
- Army Artists Look at the War on Terrorism
- The artworks reproduced in this online book from the Army Center of Military History were created by soldier-artists assigned to the Army Staff Artist Program. A chapter is devoted to the war in Afghanistan.
- The Campaign against International Terrorism: prospects after the fall of the Taliban
- "This paper provides an update on the campaign against international terrorism following the fall of the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. It examines the main developments since the end of October 2001, including the ongoing military campaign, the Bonn agreement on a new interim administration for the country, and the humanitarian situation."
- Coalition Countries
- United States Central Command's list of nations that have contributed to the war in Afghanistan.
- A Different Kind of War: The United States Army in Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, October 2001-September 2005
- A Different Kind of War is "the Army's first comprehensive study of its campaign in Afghanistan. Based on hundreds of oral interviews and unclassified documents, this study offers a comprehensive chronological narrative of the first four years of Operation Enduring Freedom."
- NATO in Afghanistan: A Test of the Transatlantic Alliance
- A CRS Report for Congress.
- Obama's War
- PBS Frontline documentary about the war in Afghanistan after eight years, including a timeline, analysis, and interviews.
- Operation Anaconda: An Air Power Perspective
- A report about Operation Anaconda, which was "designed and executed to remove the last remaining
organized Taliban resistance."
- Operation Enduring Freedom: Casualties
- The Defense Casualty Analysis System provides data regarding casualties incurred during the war in Afghanistan. Information is available by demographics, by casualty category, by month, and by names of the fallen.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
- The University of Texas online collection of maps of Afghanistan. Types of maps include country, city, detailed, thematic, historical, war, and refugee maps.
- The United States Army in Afghanistan: Operation Enduring Freedom, October 2001-March 2002
- An online publication from the U.S. Army Center of Military History.
Supporting Air and Space Expeditionary Forces: Lessons from Operation Enduring Freedom
- Free e-book from RAND that " presents an analysis of combat support experiences associated with Operation Enduring Freedom."
- The War in Afghanistan
- "A listing of web sites that provide links to resources relating to the War on Terrorism in Afghanistan."
- The War in Afghanistan
- This website from the BBC traces the history of the United States-led war in Afghanistan.
- War in Afghanistan: Campaign Progress, Political Strategy, and Issues for Congress
- Report from the Congressional Research Service.
Top of Page