Searchable Library Catalogs, Resources for Librarians, and E-Journals
NARA Library Resources
- ALIC: Archives Library Information Center
- The Archives Library and Information Center home page.
- Book Catalog
- ALIC's Online Public Access Catalog
- Microfilm Catalog Search
- Basic search form which allows you to search for microfilm publications
descriptions via keywords, microfilm IDs, record group number, and/or NARA Viewing Location.
- Presidential Libraries
Searchable Catalogs and Databases
- Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
- From Virginia Tech, this is a database of student research theses and dissertations, with full text available online.
- A directory of over 5,000 library web pages, online catalogs and profiles worldwide. Maintained by
Marshall Breeding at Vanderbilt University.
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- This site contains literary, business, medical, scientific and foreign languages databases for searching.
Top of Page
University and Academic Libraries
- Cardinal Stritch University Library
- The University library's catalog, and an easy online guide with links to subject research on the web.
- Grinnell College Libraries
- Grinnell College's library catalog, and a variety of subject databases to search.
- Indiana University at Bloomington Libraries
- Searchable catalogs, databases for electronic journals, and internet resources. Well-organized with extensive options available.
- University at Albany
- Catalogs, indexes and databases, e-journals, and government information. Of particular interest is the University of Albany Reference Collection, with reference help links, general reference materials, and databases linked to other U.S. institutions.
- University of Houston Libraries
- Library catalog in web and telnet versions, including branch libraries, web resources, and research guides.
- University of Maryland Libraries
- Library catalogs for the University of Maryland school system, access to federal and state libraries, online databases, e-resources, electronic journals and publications, and information technology reference.
- University of Southern Mississippi Library
- USM library catalogs, databases, and faculty and library publications.
- Wellesley College Information Services
- Wellesley College's web site has an online reference librarian to answer questions, in addition to general reference materials, and online catalogs of libraries, including the Boston Library Consortium, Harvard, and MIT.
Top of Page
Selected Public Libraries
- Federal Depository Library Program
- Federal Depository Libraries are libraries that house and maintain publications distributed by the Government Printing Office (GPO), and staff to assist research. This site locates federal depository libraries by state.
- Library of Congress Classification Outline
- This is a breakdown of the classification system used by the Library of Congress.
- Library of Congress Catalog
- This site contains a database searching various media in the Library of Congress Catalog, including information on materials not yet acquired.
- The Center for Research Libraries
- This site contains a grant-supported catalog of a consortium of colleges, universities and public libraries, making research information and catalogs readily available.
- Detroit Public Library
- Catalogs for the Detroit Public Library System.
- East Baton Rouge Parish Library
- This site contains a searchable online catalog and electronic databases for magazines, newspapers, and other information.
- The Garden-City Public Library
- The Library Network provides a conveniently arranged list of links to library catalogs, reference information, search engines, and other online databases.
- Librarians' Resource Center
- This site contains the Annual Reports Library, which includes searchable library catalogs and information on how to find annual reports online.
- The Santa Fe Public Library
- Searchable Catalog, periodicals databases, and locations of libraries in the Santa Fe area.
Top of Page
- The Best Information On the Web
- An exhaustive site including catalogs, reference information, and librarians' resources.
- Cooperative Online Resource Catalog (CORC)
- A site regarding the sharing of data about libraries. From the people who brought you OCLC.
- Digital Librarian
- An extensive list of links to a large number of subjects of interest to librarians.
- Digital Libraries Initiative
- A sponsor-based web site working on the development of world wide web information processing.
- The Great Newspaper Caper: Backlash in the Digital Age
- This article by Richard Cox is a response to Nicholson Baker's essay on the
destruction of newspapers in libraries after they have been microfilmed.
- Handbook of Federal Librarianship
- A site on the FLICC, and the promotion of federal libraries.
- A worldwide directory of library home pages.
- A database of documents of interest to librarians on the internet.
- Lib Web
- Hosted by University of Indiana, this site links to more than 2,000 libraries and information services in more than 125 countries around the world.
- This site contains a search engine for finding libraries throughout the world.
- Librarian's Resource Centre
- A fairly comprehensive site on Canadian library resources.
- Library and Research Center(LARC)
- This ALA site offers 28 FACT sheets on library topics.
- This site provides online information on a select number of libraries for various subjects.
- Martindale's Reference Desk
- One of the top fifty most useful sites according to Yahoo!, Martindale's
has information on an extensive amount of material, from world reports in over 270
countries to new developments in the Information Sciences.
- Online Scholarly Resources
- A compilation of fellowships from organizations, centers, independent research libraries and archives for library, humanities, and scientific scholars.
- Peter's Digital Reference Shelf
- Reviews of various reference materials online.
- PLA Tech Notes
- Provided by the Public Library Association, each Tech Note is a web-published document providing an introduction and overview to a specific technological topic.
Discussion Groups and Forums for Librarians
- ALA Lists and Discussion Groups
- The American Library Association provides access to electronic discussion lists.
- D-Lib Forum
- A forum for facilitating and supporting digital library technology.
- Library E-Mail Lists and Newsgroups: Archives, Preservation, and Special Collections
- A portal designed for librarians to locate internet resources related to
- Project Wombat
- A reference source for frequently asked questions. This site took the place of Stumpers listserv.
Top of Page
Online Reference Desks and Materials
- Carrie: A Full-Text Electronic Library
- The University of Kansas' full-text electronic library. Search Carrie, read banned books online, or browse in the reference room.
- Caltech's Online Reference Desk
- Includes general reference, journal article indexes, a book locator, and subject reference information.
- Browse through a virtual library stacks to find potential reference resources of a scholarly or research nature.
- A variety of online reference sites, from general encyclopedias and dictionaries to biographies, businesses, facts, sports, and sciences. This is a good site for locating free virtual reference materials.
- The Internet Public Library Reference Desk
- A well-organized site with reference information, search engines, and online facts.
- Library Spot
- Brought to you from Start Spot, Library Spot has general reference materials, access to online law, music and medical libraries, as well as style guides and exhibits.
- My Virtual Reference Desk
- A user-friendly site with numerous links to information about fact-finding on the web.
- National Library Catalogues Worldwide
- A list of library catalogs worldwide.
- This site contains a collection of online almanacs and maps, as well as general reference materials.
Top of Page
- ALISE -- Association for Library and Information Science Education
- This site is a compilation of services to ALISE members.
- ALA --
American Library Association
- This official ALA site "provides services to those interested in the promotion and improvement of libraries and information services".
- ARL -- Association of Research Libraries
- An organization for research libraries
- ACRL -- Association of College & Research Libraries
- ACRL is associated with ALA and ARL, but involves the division of university and college libraries
- ASIS -- American Society for Information Science
- A well-established organization for "new techniques and technology to access information".
- BALAC--Black Caucus of the American Library Association
- The BALAC was designed to promote library and information science development for African Americans and others of African descent.
- CLIR -- Council on Library and Information Resources
- An organization interested in preservation, awareness, digital libraries, scholarship, and other areas. Well laid-out and user-friendly.
- Professional Associations in the Information Sciences
- A list of links to Internet sites on libraries and information sciences, and their
- Digital Library Federation
- An organization interested in the creation, maintenance and expansion of digital materials.
- Listings of International School Media web pages.
- IMLS -- Institute of Museum and Library Services
- An agency devoted to strengthening museums and libraries.
- OLOS--Office for Literary and Outreach Services
- This organization supports and promotes information literacy and equity of information access among traditionally underprivileged groups.
- Organizations Listing
- This site provides a very comprehensive list of organizations regarding information-
- REFORMA--The National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking.
- REFORMA actively seeks to promote the development of library services and programs that meet the needs of the Latino community.
- SLA -- Special Libraries Association
- A site interested in the promotion of libraries internationally.
- Computer Almanac
- A compendium of numbers concerning computers and referencing, including OS usage, computer science research, computer-related injuries, crimes, and more.
- An Idiot's Guide to the Resource Description Framework
- This site was developed by the World Wide Web Consortium to help bridge the gaps within the transfer, usage, and foundations of metadata on the internet.
- LITA -- Top Technology Trends
- This site is a collection of identified trends involving technology and library
- Patent Applications for web search and information retrieval methods, products, etc.
- This ResourceShelf PLUS site by Gary Price, dated February 27, 2003, highlights U.S. patent applications for search engines, retrieval methods, and other information search products. (Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the entry.)
Top of Page
Journals and Articles
- Possible Futures for the Research Library in the 21st Century
- An article in the Journal of Library Administration by James Duderstadt.
- How to Find Information in a Library and on the Internet
- This Congressional Research Service report describes how to find information from sources such as encyclopedias, newspapers, organizations, almanacs, etc.
- Journals in ALIC
- This ALIC site provides access to periodicals received at the National Archives Library and online journals related to libraries and archives.
- Computers in Libraries
- Sign up for an information industry email newsletter.
- PLA Tech Notes
- Each Tech Note is a web published document providing an introduction and overview to a specific technological topic.
Top of Page
- U.S. News & World Report: Top Graduate Schools in Library Science
- University of Maryland -- College of Information Studies
- General information about the program at the University of Maryland.
- The Catholic University of America -- School of Library and Information Science
- General information regarding CUA's LIS program.
The Department of Information Studies at the University of Sheffield
- At this site, along with information regarding Information Studies in the United Kingdom, is a list of Departments and Schools of Information Studies throughout the world.
Top of Page