National History Day Topics in ARC
2008 Theme: Conflict & Compromise in History
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) contains a wealth of primary source materials for National History Day research projects. For resources for past years' themes, see National History Day Topics in ARC.
This page provides search hints for NARA's online catalog, the Archival Research Catalog (ARC), to help students and teachers locate descriptions of archival materials:
- available in NARA facilities across the country
- in the Washington, DC area
- at Regional Archives nationwide
- at Presidential Libraries nationwide
- available online as digitized copies -- over 126,000 images including
- historical documents (handwritten and typescript)
- other graphic materials
- 101 digitized historical films (via GoogleVideo)
Sample NHD 2008 Topics and Suggested Keywords
The following list provides a few examples of topics related to this year's theme that have materials described in ARC. For more information on this year's theme, see Conflict & Compromise Sample Topics on the NHD site.
Click on the ARC Search Links to see a pop-up window with ARC search results on that topic. For more help, see:
- How to Search in ARC
- Tips for ARC Search Links
- Refining the Search: Digital Copies
- Advanced Search Tips for ARC
Contact and Visit a NARA Location. If you find archival series, file units, and/or items and you would like to see them in person, contact the NARA unit responsible for those materials. You could arrange to visit the unit in person and conduct research at a NARA facility, or order photocopies.
Do you live outside of the D.C. area? NARA facilities are located nationwide. ARC's Location of Archival Materials filter is helpful in finding ARC items at the closest NARA facility.