Historical Documents Online: Search Hints for Selected Topics
- Selected Documents Related to Buffalo Bill (William F. Cody)
- Illustrated Search Steps and Hints: Viewing Digital Copies of Buffalo Bill Materials
Selected Documents Related to Buffalo Bill (William F. Cody)
113 historical documents related to Buffalo Bill have been digitized. The documents include an enlistment paper of William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody from his compiled military service record, inventory of property and accoutrement of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, items related to Buffalo Bill's bankruptcy case, and a letter from William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs asking permission for Sitting Bull to travel with his show.
Search Hint: To retrieve the 113 digitized documents:
- Go to http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/.
- Press the Yellow search button to go to the Basic search screen.
- Enter Buffalo Bill in the Keywords box.
- Select the limit results radio button for 2000.
- Select the box marked Descriptions of Archival Materials linked to digital copies.
- Press the Go button.
- When hits are returned for your search, view the full result of your hit by selecting the Title link.
Illustrated Search Steps and Hints: Viewing Digital Copies of Buffalo Bill Materials
The illustrated search steps suggest additional options for viewing the digital copies in ARC.
1. Click Descriptions of Archival Materials linked to digital copies for search results with thumbnail images.
2. Click Printer-Friendly Version button on the first Digital Copies Search Results page to see all of the hits on one screen for browsing. Note the ARC IDs for the images you want to research further, since you cannot link directly to the descriptions from the printer-friendly version.
3. Use the browser's back arrow to return to the linked search results. Selecting the Title link provides specific details about the document, for example the ARC Identifier, full Title, Creator, Type of Archival Materials, and Location.
4. From the full ARC description for this item, click the Printer-Friendly Version button to put the document in a format ready for printing.
5. Use the browser's back arrow to return to the full ARC description. Click on the All Images link to see digital copies of the item's multiple pages.
6. From the All Images View, click on any of the Large Image links to view a larger version of the digital copy. Scroll down the screen to see the other images.
7. To save a copy of the digital image file on your computer or disc, right-click on the image and select "Save Picture As...".
8. Click on the Printer-Friendly Version button to view all of the large images for the document on one, printable screen.