Historical Documents Online: Search Hints for Selected Topics
- Appointments and Oaths of U.S. Marshals and Deputy Marshals, 1864 - 1912
269 multi-page documents have been digitized from this series. These appointments, papers, oaths, and bonds of the U.S. Marshals and Deputy Marshals were issued before Arizona became a state in 1912. Each appointment lists the name of the appointee, the city where he served, his position, and date of oath or commission. Included are the oaths for the first U.S.Marshal appointed in the Arizona Territory, Milton Duffield and the famous John Slaughter. The Deputy Marshals' oaths for Virgil, Morgan, and Wyatt Earp are not among these documents. These materials are held by NARA's Pacific Region (Laguna Niguel, CA).
Search Hint: To retrieve all all 269 digitized documents:
- Go to http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/.
- Press the Yellow search button to go to the Basic search screen.
- Enter Appointment and Marshal in the Keywords box.
- Select the limit results radio button for 1000.
- Select the box marked Descriptions of Archival Materials linked to digital copies.
- Press the Go button.
- When hits are returned for your search, view the full result of your hit by selecting the Title link.
From the Collection:
View larger image
ARC Identifier: 295654, Title: "Appointment and Oath of Office for J. W. Alwin as Deputy Marshal in the Territory of Arizona., 10/12/1910"