Search Hints for the Northeast Region
The National Archives (NARA) Northeast Region (Boston) in Waltham, Massachusetts, is part of one of the National Archives' 11 Regional Archives. The Archival Research Catalog (ARC) includes descriptions of records held by the Regional Archives. The online catalog allows you to filter your search results by location. The search hints below highlight the Northeast Region (Boston) records available in ARC. The Northeast Region (Boston) holds federal records from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.
ARC is a work in progress, and NARA staff add new descriptions to ARC all the time. More than 68% of the Regional Archives records are currently described in ARC at the series level. If you do not find the records you are seeking, please contact the Northeast Region (Boston) staff.
- Tips for New ARC Users
- Advanced Search Tips for ARC
- National Archives Northeast Region (Boston) home page
The featured topics are a sample of subjects covered by records held by the Northeast Region (Boston) and described in ARC. Follow the search instructions, or customize your search with your own keywords.
- Go to http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/.
- Press the yellow Search button to go to the Basic search screen.
- Enter keywords (use some of the sample keywords below or your own) in the Keywords box.
- Select the limit results radio button for 2000.
- (Optional step:) Select the box marked Descriptions of Archival Materials linked to digital copies to retrieve digitized documents and photographs.
- Select the Location filter for NARA's Northeast Region (Boston) .
- Press the Go button.
- When hits are returned for your search, view the full result of your hit by selecting the Title link.
|Topics||Sample ARC Keyword Searches|
|Army and Navy||
|Federal Land and Buildings||Real Property|
|Immigration and Naturalization||
|Scientific Research (Radar)||