Records Relating to Special Prosecutors and Independent Counsels
Established by the Ethics in Government Act Amendments of 1982 (96 Stat. 2039) on January 3, 1983. Predecessor Agency was Special Prosecutors (1978-1982). Reauthorized for five years by the Independent Counsel Reauthorization Act of 1987 (101 Stat. 1293), December 15, 1987, however, lapsed on December 15, 1992, by failure of reauthorization. Reauthorized for five years by the Independent Counsel Reauthorization Act of 1994 (108 Stat. 732), June 30, 1994. Act expired June 30, 1999.
Investigated, and either dismissed or prosecuted, allegations of violations of federal criminal law, above the misdemeanor level, by individuals holding or formerly holding certain high positions in the Federal Government and in national Presidential election campaign organizations.
The National Archives and Records Administration maintain custody of the records of independent counsels that have completed their investigations.
For questions about these records or copying information, there are several ways to contact us:
You can write to the
Special Access and FOIA Staff,
National Archives at College Park
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001,
Phone: (301) 837-3190
Fax: (301) 837-1864
Our Customer Service telephone is (301) 837-3190.
This record group may include material that is security-classified.
Access to these records is governed by the Freedom of Information Act (5 U.S.C. 552, as amended.) Many documents and files have been screened under the provisions of the FOIA and are open for research. The Special Access and FOIA Staff maintain finding aids that list many of the subjects that have records available for immediate release.
- Watergate Special Prosecution Force, 1971-77
- Special Prosecutor Arthur H. Christy relating to Hamilton
- Special Prosecutor Gerald J. Gallinghouse relating to Timothy
- Independent Counsel Leon Silverman relating to Raymond Donovan, 1991-89
- Independent Counsel Jacob A. Stein relating to Edwin Meese
- Independent Counsel Whitney North Seymour, Jr. relating to
Michael Deaver, 1981-89
- Independent Counsel Alexia Morrison relating to Theodore Olson, 1986-88
- Independent Counsel James C. McKay relating to Franklin Nofziger and Edwin Meese III, 1970-89
- Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh relating to
- Independent Counsel Arlen Adams/Larry Thompson relating to Samuel Pierce, 1981-98
- Independent Counsel Joseph DiGenova relating to improper search of passport
- Independent Counsel Kenneth I. Starr/Robert Ray/Julie Thomas, 1994-2004
- Independent Counsel Curtis Emery von Kann relating to Eli J. Segal, 1996-98
- visit the Independent Counsels section of the Guide
to the National Archives of the United States;
- locate government publications relating
to Independent Counsels;
- search for descriptions of related records in the National Archives Catalog