Most Popular Vietnam-Era Records
- Marine Corps Command Chronologies for the Vietnam War
- Vietnam War Casualties webpage of American Battle Monuments Commission
- Records Relating to American Prisoners of War and Missing in Action from the Vietnam War Era, 1960-1994, a Finding Aid to Records
Research in Vietnam War Records
The National Archives has custody of a wide assortment of both textual documents and electronic records related to the Vietnam conflict.
Electronic Records Relating to the Vietnam War
- Vietnam War Casualty and POW/MIA Records Descriptions
- Vietnam War Fatal Casualty Statistics (U. S. Armed Forces Personnel)
- State Lists of U. S. Fatal Casualties of the Vietnam War
- Electronic Data Records Relating to Military Objectives and Activities During the Vietnam War
- Search Selected Vietnam War Electronic Records, through the Access to Archival Databases (AAD)
Textual Records Relating to the Vietnam War
Textual documents relating to the Vietnam conflict are spread across several record groups (RGs).
The most heavily used record group is:
Additional records relating to the U.S. Army in Vietnam may be found in:
- RG 112 Office of the Surgeon General
- RG 319 Army Staff
- RG 334 Records of Interservice Agencies
- RG 335 Office of the Secretary of the Army
- RG 338 Records of U.S. Army Commands
U.S. Air Force
The National Archives has received a limited number of records from the U.S. Air Force for the Vietnam War period.
Please Note: These records have not been processed and almost all are still classified.
- RG 341, Records of the U.S. Air Force Staff
- RG 342, Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations
- RG 340, Records of the Office of the Secretary of the Navy
Unit histories and supporting documents of Air Force units are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL.
U.S. Marine Corps
The National Archives has custody of U.S. Marine Corps command chronologies during the Vietnam era and some other records for Vietnam.
- RG 27 Records of the Marine Corps - Command Chronologies (Entry UD-07D 1)
Researchers should also contact the Marine Corps Archives & Special Collections at
Marine Corps Archives and Special Collections
Alfred M. Gray Research Center
2040 Broadway Street
Quantico, VA 22134
The National Archives has custody of U.S. Navy deck logs and U.S. Navy muster rolls/personnel diaries for the Vietnam conflict. The personnel diaries include lists of officers in addition to the enlisted personnel. Please note: U.S. Navy muster rolls/personnel diaries after 1971 utilize social security numbers and are subject to privacy restrictions.
- RG 24 Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel
U.S. Navy action reports and war diaries for the Vietnam conflict are in the custody of the Naval History and Heritage Command.
Naval History and Heritage Command
Operational Archives Branch
805 Kidder Breese Street, SE
Washington Navy Yard
Washington, DC 20374-5060
U.S. National War Policy
For records relating to U.S. national war policy, information may be found in
- RG 218 Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- RG 330 Records of the Office of the Secretary of Defense