- The National Archives at Riverside relocated from Laguna Niguel, California in 2010.
Welcome to The National Archives at Riverside
Holding Federal records from southern California, Arizona and Clark County, Nevada
Resources for Family History
Explore Our One-of-a-Kind Records
Volunteer with Us!
Planning a Visit?
Click here for our address, hours, directions to our facility & our contact information.
The National Archives at Riverside holds more than 60,000 cubic feet of archival holdings dating from about l850 to the l990s. In addition to one-of-a-kind textual records, we hold architectural drawings, maps, and photographs. These records were created or received by Federal courts and nearly 80 Federal agencies in Arizona, southern California, and Clark County, Nevada. Federal law requires that agencies transfer permanently valuable, noncurrent records to the National Archives.
Research areas include, but are not limited to:
- History, Life & Culture of 50 Native Americans groups
- Ethnic Diversity: Chinese Exclusion, Immigration and Naturalization
- Water, Land, Settlement and Development of the American West
- World War II: Military Buildup, Civilian Defense and Japanese Removal
- Maritime History and the Development of Coastal Defenses
- The Environment: Flood Control, Beach Erosion, National Parks and Forests
- The Cold War and the Development of the Military-Industrial Complex
The archival holdings are arranged by record group (RG), a body of records from an agency or bureau, identified by an RG number. Selected finding aids, are available by e-mail and online.
Research can be initiated in person, or by telephone, mail, fax, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Researchers in archival holdings on site can facilitate their research by calling before visiting.
Resources for Federal Agency Employees:
Quick Facts about the National Archives' Riverside Facility:
Public Services: Research spaces for family historians, scholars and the general public
Size: 183,400 square foot facility
Capacity: 849,000 cubic feet of permanent and temporary holdings
Stack Space: 145,910 square feet