Guide to Archival Holdings at NARA's Pacific Alaska Region (Seattle)
- Alphabetical List of Record Groups
- Numerical List of Record Groups
- Record Groups 4 through 49
- Record Groups 56 through 96
- Record Groups 103 through 188
- Record Groups 202 through 293
- Record Groups 305 through Donated Materials
Record Group 56
General Records of the Department of the Treasury
The Department of the Treasury was established by an act of September 2, 1789, which directed the Secretary of the Treasury to prepare plans for improving and managing revenues and supporting public credit, prepare and report revenue and expenditure estimates, superintend the collection of revenues, decide on forms for keeping and stating accounts and making returns, and grant all warrants for money issued from the Treasury.
Pursuant to its duties in revenue collection, the Bureau of Prohibition was established by an act of May 27, 1930, to investigate reports of violations of the Volstead Act. Its investigative functions were consolidated with functions of the Bureau of Investigation to create the new Division of Investigation in the Department of Justice by Executive Order 6166 of June 10, 1933.
Volume: 14 cubic feet
Records of the Seattle office of the Bureau of Prohibition. The records document investigations of suspected and convicted rumrunners in the Pacific Northwest. The investigatory case files contain correspondence, news clippings, reports, and transcripts of telephone taps. Nontextual records include photos and in a few cases, evidence seized during searches.
A list of case numbers and names.
Related Microfilm Publications
M1085, Investigative Case Files of the Bureau of Investigation, 1908-1922 (index only).
Record Group 57
Records of the U.S. Geological Survey
The Geological Survey was established in the Department of the Interior by an act of March 3, 1879, providing for the "classification of the public lands and the examination of the geological structure, mineral resources, and products of the public domain." An act of September 5, 1962, expanded this authorization to examinations outside the public domain, while topographical mapping and chemical and physical research were authorized by an act of October 2, 1888. The Survey's chief functions are to survey, investigate, and conduct research on the Nation's topography, geology, and mineral and water resources; classify land according to mineral composition and water power resources; furnish engineering supervision for power permits and Federal Power Commission licenses; supervise naval petroleum reserves and mineral leasing operations on public and Indian lands; and disseminate data relating to these activities.
Volume: 63 cubic feet
Records of the Water Resources Division. The records relate to the Washington State Water Resources Council and to the Canada-United States International Joint Commission's investigation of water levels in the Kootenai River and Kootenai Lake. The records document water storage management and dike failures during floods. Included are correspondence gauge readings, reports, survey field notes, and well level measurements. Nontextual records include some mineral area maps and photographs. See RG 305 for related records.
Folder title lists.
Related Microfilm Publications
M156, Letters Received by John Wesley Powell, Director of the Geographical and Geological Survey of the Rocky Mountain Region, 1869-1879;
M622, Records of the Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel ("King Survey"), 1867-1881;
M623, Records of the Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories ("Hayden Survey"), 1867-1879.
Record Group 58
Records of the Internal Revenue Service
The Office of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue was established in the Treasury Department by an act of July 1, 1862, to help finance the Civil War. Within the Office the agency that collected funds was known as the Bureau of Internal Revenue until 1953 when it was designated the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The taxes levied during the Civil War were gradually abolished until only taxes on liquor and tobacco remained in 1883. In addition to the taxes on these commodities, the Bureau began collecting a corporation income tax after 1909. With the adoption of the 16th amendment in 1913, the collection of income taxes became one of the Bureau's principal functions. It is now responsible for the administration, assessment, and collection of all internal revenue taxes.
Volume: 25 cubic feet
Records of IRS collectors in:
- Idaho, 1867-1870;
- Oregon, 1867-1873, 1910-16;
- Washington, 1869-1870, 1909-17.
Records of the Portland, Oregon, district office, 1898-1919. The records relate to employees and offices in the Portland district. They are rosters.
Folder title lists.
Related Microfilm Publications
M763, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for the Territory of Idaho, 1865-1866;
M775, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for Mississippi, 1865-1866;
M777, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for Montana, 1864-1872;
M1631, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists, Oregon District, 1867-73;
T1209, Internal Revenue Assessment Lists for the Territory of Idaho, 1867-1874.
Record Group 71
Records of the Bureau of Yards and Docks
The Bureau of Yards and Docks in 1862 replaced the Bureau of Naval Yards and Docks, established in the Navy Department by an act of August 31, 1842. Bureau functions included the design, construction, and maintenance of all naval public works and utilities, such as dry docks, marine railways, shipbuilding ways, harbor structures, storage facilities, power plants, heating and lighting systems, and buildings at shore establishments. The Bureau also operated power plants, maintained public works and utilities at shore establishments, and obtained real estate for Navy use. At advanced bases and in combat areas Bureau work was performed by construction battalions (Seabees). A Department of Defense reorganization order of March 9, 1966, abolished the Bureau, and the Secretary of the Navy transferred most of its functions to the Naval Facilities Engineering Command.
Volume: 90 cubic foot
Records of the Aviation Division for Sand Point (Seattle), Washington, and Tongue Point, Oregon. The records relate to air fields and are air station files.
Records of the Northwest Division. The records document the transfer of government land and facilities to non-federal entities following World War II and are real property case files.
Record Group 72
Records of the Bureau of Aeronautics
The Bureau of Aeronautics was established in the Navy Department by an act of July 12, 1921, to perform aeronautical duties as directed by the Secretary of the Navy. When this bureau was established, functions of the Aircraft Division of the Bureau of Construction and Repair and the Aeronautics Division of the Bureau of Steam Engineering were transferred to it, including responsibility for testing materials, making contracts, and outfitting bases and other shore establishments.
During World War II, Bureau functions were expanded, and emphasis was placed on developing naval aircraft designs; purchasing, construction, and maintaining aircraft and airships; maintaining naval air stations and fleet air bases; and supervising the service, repair, overhaul and salvage of naval aircraft. The Bureau was abolished by an act of August 18, 1959, and its functions transferred to the Bureau of Naval Weapons. They were reassigned in 1966 to the Air, Weapons, and Electronics Systems Commands.
Volume: 4.5 cubic feet
Records of the Inspector of Naval Aircraft, Seattle, Washington. The records document contacts with aviation industries such as the Boeing Aircraft Co. Included are contracts, correspondence, and purchase orders.
Record Group 75
Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
An Office of Indian Affairs was established in 1824 within the War Department, which had exercised jurisdiction over relations with Indian tribes since the formation of the Federal Government. The Office operated informally within the War Department until Congress authorized the appointment of a Commissioner of Indian Affairs in 1832. The Office was transferred to the Department of the Interior in 1849. Although commonly called the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), it was not officially designated that until 1947.
The Bureau is responsible for most of the Federal Government's relations with the tribes of Indians that it recognizes. Some groups of Indians, particularly in the Eastern States, have never received official recognition, and other groups ceased to function as cohesive tribes before the establishment of the Federal Government in 1789. The Bureau has only exercised responsibility for Indians living on a recognized reservation or who maintained an affiliation with a recognized tribe. Many persons of Indian descent are not mentioned in any of the Bureau's records because they severed all connection with any tribe.
The Bureau's programs have had an impact on virtually every phase of tribal development and individual Indian life including education, health, land ownership, financial affairs, employment, and legal rights. In 1931, the Bureau assumed jurisdiction over the Indians and Eskimos of Alaska from the Alaska Division of the Office of Education, which had been established in 1885 to administer education and health programs for the natives of Alaska. In 1955, most of the Bureau's health activities, including the operation of Indian Hospitals, were transferred to the Public Health Service.
When it was created in 1824, the Bureau inherited a well-established system of agencies, each of which was responsible for all relations with one or more tribes. Many of these agencies were subordinate to a superintendency which had general responsibility for Indian affairs in a territory or other geographica l area.
Although there were numerous changes in agency designations and jurisdictions, this basic organizational structure remained unchanged until superintendencies were abolished in the 1870's and all agents began reporting directly to the Bureau headquarters in Washington, DC. In 1947, area offices were established to exercise supervisory control over agencies and other administrative units (such as schools or irrigation districts) within specific geographic regions.
In addition to the agents who were responsible for the day-to-day implementation of Indian policy, the Bureau often sent officials into the field for special purposes. These included treaty commissioners, inspectors, purchasing and disbursing agents, enrolling and allotting agents, and education specialists. Many of the schools that operated on Indian reservations were under the control of a superintendent who was often independent of the agent and sometimes exercised the functions of an agent. There were also a number of nonreservation schools, which accepted students from all over the country and were not under the control of any local agent.Records Description
Volume: 5500 cubic feet
Records of the following Indian agencies in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington, and of area offices in Billings, Montana, and Portland, Oregon:
- Chemawa Indian School, 1880-1975;
- *Colville Indian Agency, 1865-1973;
- Fort Hall Indian Agency, 1909-63;
- *Grand Ronde-Siletz Indian Agency, 1863-1958;
- *Klamath Indian Agency, 1865-1960;
- Malheur Indian Agency, 1875-1882;
- Neah Bay Agency (see Taholah Indian Agency);
- *Northern Idaho Indian Agency, 1871-1969;
- Olympic Agency, 1973-80;
- *Portland Area Office, 1887-1982;
- Puget Sound Agency, 1881-1983;
- *Puyallup Indian Agency, 1882-1923;
- Seattle Support Center, 1963-71;
- *Spokane Indian Agency (see Colville);
- *Taholah Indian Agency, 1886-1958 (includes Neah Bay Agency);
- *Tulalip Indian Agency, 1854-1952;
- *Umatilla Indian Agency, 1862-1976;
- Wapato Irrigation Project, 1906-86;
- *Warm Springs Indian Agency, 1861-1965;
- *Western Washington Agency, 1928-75;
- *Yakima Indian Agency, 1850-1970.
The records of area offices often include records of predecessor district offices. These records relate to agricultural extension, credit, forestry, health, and irrigation.
Records submitted by the agent and other field employees document tribal economic, political, and social life; the daily relations between the BIA and the Indians, an agent and his superiors, and officials of other Federal and local government agencies; and the agent's perceptions about the Indians and his duties. Included are annual narrative and statistical reports and correspondence.
The records document Indians' financial affairs such as annuity payments and disbursements of other funds to tribal members as a result of treaties or congressional legislation. They contain the Indian's name and the amount of money or type of goods received. With tribal censuses and other enrollment records, they document genealogy and tribal demographics. Included are cash reports, ledgers of receipts and disbursements, property returns, and vouchers.
The records document the financial affairs of "restricted Indians," considered incompetent because of their age, degree of Indian blood, or other factors. They concern the collection and disbursement of funds; requests by Indians for money to buy automobiles, clothing, farming equipment, furniture, groceries, livestock, pianos, and many other items; and the determination of heirs and the distribution of estates. Included are application forms, probate files, and related correspondence.
The records document land allotment to individual tribal members, names of eligible tribe members, contested allotments, the dispersal of the tribal domain, protests against the allotment process, sale or leasing of land, and use of tribal resources. Included are lists of eligible members, applications for specific tracts of land, plat maps, hearings, and letters (many in the native language) from Indians to their agents.
Records document the operation of schools on reservations and nonreservation and public schools that Indians attended; school enrollments; and planning and implementation of educational programs. Included are correspondence, narrative and statistical reports, and individual student files that contain applications for admission, correspondence, and grades.
The records document the impact of changing social and economic conditions as reflected in activities of the Civilian Conservation Corps--Indian Division and other emergency relief programs conducted in the 1930's; agricultural extension projects; health care programs; construction of homes and roads; home demonstration programs; housing; income; irrigation and land management activities; liquor control, suppression of peyote, and other law enforcement activities on reservations; living conditions; and recreation. Included are project files and reports.
The records document tribal governments and provide insight into tribal politics and Indian reaction to various Federal programs and policies. Included are agendas, minutes, and resolutions of tribal business committees or other elected groups.
Preliminary inventories for the agencies marked with an asterisk.
Edward E. Hill, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, PI 163 (2 vols., 1965).
Edward E. Hill, comp., Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians, Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Service, 1981.
Related Microfilm Publications
M2, Records of the Oregon Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1848-1873;
M5, Records of the Washington Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1853-1874;
M21, Letters Sent by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1881;
M234, Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1881;
M595, Indian Census Rolls, 1884-1940;
M832, Records of the Idaho Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1863-1870;
M833, Records of the Montana Superintendency of Indian Affairs, 1867-1873;
M1011, Superintendents' Annual Narrative and Statistical Reports from Field Jurisdictions of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1907-1938;
M1070, Reports of Inspections of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900;
M1186, Enrollment Cards for the Five Civilized Tribes, 1898-1914;
M1301, Applications for Enrollment of the Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes, 1898-1914.
Access to case files on individual Indians is restricted because of personal privacy concerns.
Record Group 77
Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers
The Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, with headquarters at Washington, DC, was a result of orders of April 3, 1818. The military responsibilities of the Office of the Chief of Engineers (OCE) have included producing and distributing Army maps, building roads, planning camps, and constructing and repairing fortifications and other installations.
Its civil duties have included maintaining and improving inland waterways and harbors, formulating and executing plans for flood control, operating dams and locks, and approving plans for construction of bridges, wharves, piers, and other works over navigable waters. Expansion of the OCE's river and harbor improvement work after the Civil War necessitated the establishment of district offices throughout the United States. The engineer officer in charge of each district reported directly to the Chief of Engineers until 1888 when engineer divisions were created with administrative jurisdiction over the district offices.Records Description
Volume: 1802 cubic feet
Records of the North Pacific division, 1907-40, and the following districts:
- Manhattan Engineering District, Richland, Washington, 1944-45;
- Pasco Engineering Depot, Washington, 1943-55;
- Portland District Office, Oregon, 1863-1984;
- Seattle District Office, Washington,1885-1973;
- Walla Walla District Office, Washington, 1938-76.
Records of the Seattle and Portland districts. The records relate to the Lake Washington Ship Canal and Locks and construction of the Puget Sound and Columbia River coastal artillery forts, fish traps, and dams. Included are correspondence, field notebooks, and office and project files.
Folder title lists.
Related Microfilm Publications
A1218, Manhattan Engineer District History;
M65, Letters Sent by the Office of the Chief of Engineers Relating to Internal Improvements, 1824-1830;
M66, Letters Sent by the Topographical Bureau of the War Department and by Successor Divisions in the Office of the Chief of Engineers, 1829-1870;
M1108, Harrison-Bundy Files Relating to the Development of the Atomic Bomb, 1942-1946.
Record Group 79
Records of the National Park Service
The National Park Service was established in the Department of the Interior by an act of August 25, 1916. The Service supervises national parks, monuments, historic parks, memorials, parkways, recreation areas, and seashores and is responsible for the promotion and regulation of their use. It establishes and enforces regulations for use, protects parks from fire, regulates concession operators, investigates and recommends proposed new areas, acquires land, and constructs and maintains roads, trails, and buildings. It also engages in research and educational work such as managing guided tours and lectures, marking nature trails, maintaining museums and libraries, and preparing publications and studies in history, archeology, natural history, and wildlife.
Volume: 18 cubic feet
Records of the following sites:
- Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, 1905-65;
- Olympic National Park, Washington, 1941-62;
- Oregon Caves National Monument, Oregon, 1934-61.
- Pacific Northwest Regional Office, Seattle, Washington, 1950-63;
- Portland Field Office, Oregon, 1937-66.
Folder title lists.
Record Group 80
General Records of the Department of the Navy, 1798-1947
The Department of the Navy was established by an act of April 30, 1798. The Board of Navy Commissioners was created February 7, 1815, as part of an expansion of the Navy Department, but its authority was generally confined to procuring stores and materials and to constructing, arming, and equipping vessels of war. The Secretary of the Navy retained charge of naval personnel and discipline, appointments, detailing of officers, and movements of vessels. The Board of Navy Commissioners was abolished in 1842 and replaced by five bureaus.
In 1947, the Department of the Navy became part of the National Military Establishment, and in 1949, it became part of the Department of Defense. The principal tasks of the Department of the Navy are policy control, naval command, logistics administration and control, and business administration.Records Description
Volume: 108 cubic feet
Records of the Cost Inspector for the Navy. The records relate to activities at the Todd Dry Dock and Construction Corporation and weekly meetings of the Cost Inspection Board. Included are correspondence, cost summaries, daily journals, financial statements, inventories, minutes, and reports.
Entry 233 in James R. Masterson, comp., Preliminary Checklist of the General Records of the Department of the Navy, 1804-1944, PC-31 (1945).
Record Group 85
Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service
The Office of Superintendent of Immigration was established in the Department of the Treasury by an act of March 3, 1891, and was designated a bureau in 1895 with responsibility for administering the alien contract-labor laws. In 1903 it became part of the Department of Commerce and Labor and in 1906 was designated the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization with the addition of functions relating to naturalization. In 1913 it was transferred to the Department of Labor as two separate Bureaus of Immigration and of Naturalization, which were reunited by Executive order on June 10, 1933, to form the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The INS, which became part of the Department of Justice in 1940, administers laws relating to admission, exclusion, deportation, and naturalization of aliens; patrols U.S. borders; and supervises naturalization work in designated Federal courts.
Volume: 650 cubic feet
Records of the district offices in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington. The records relate to enforcement of the Chinese Exclusion Act: Chinese applicants for admission at Washington and Oregon ports; Chinese arrests; vessels sailing from China to Portland; labor and employment activities; the entry of Chinese contract laborers; and Chinese partnerships and employees. Additional records relate to Japanese, German, and Italian aliens in Oregon in 1942. Included are admission applications and registers, alien registers, arrest books, lists of Chinese businesses, ship manifests, transcripts, and witness testimonies.
Folder title lists.
List of names from Chinese Exclusion Act case files (Portland office only).
Related Microfilm Publications
M1364, Lists of Chinese Passengers Arriving at Seattle (Port Townsend), Washington, 1882-1916;
M1365, Certificates of Head Tax Paid by Aliens Arriving at Seattle from Foreign Contiguous Territory, 1917-1924;
M1383, Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Seattle, Washington, 1890-1957;
M1398, Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Seattle, Washington, 1949-1954;
M1399, Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at Seattle, Washington, 1903-1917;
M1462, Alphabetical Index to Canadian Border Entries Through Small Ports in Vermont, 1895-1924;
M1463, Soundex Index to Entries into the St. Albans, Vermont, District through Canadian Pacific and Atlantic Ports, 1924-1952;
M1465, Manifests of Passengers Arriving in the St. Albans, Vermont, District through Canadian Pacific Ports, 1929-1949;
M1476, Lists of Chinese Applying for Admission to the United States Through the Port of San Francisco, 1903-1947;
M1485, Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Seattle from Insular Possessions, 1908-1917;
M1638, Case Files of Chinese Immigrants, 1890-1914, from Portland, Oregon, of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Access to individual case files may be restricted because of personal privacy concerns.
Record Group 90
Records of the Public Health Service, 1912-1968
The Public Health Service, originally called the Marine Hospital Service, has its origins in an act of July 16, 1798, which authorized hospitals for the care of sick and disabled American merchant seamen. The scope of its activities was greatly expanded by subsequent legislation, and it became part of the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1955 after having been part of the Department of the Treasury from 1798 to 1939 and the Federal Security Agency from 1939 to 1953.
The Public Health Service operates marine hospitals, hospitals for specific diseases, medical facilities for Federal penal institutions, quarantine and health stations, and research institutions and laboratories. It conducts research in the cause, prevention, and control of disease and disseminates health information.
Volume: 18 cubic feet
Records of the Indian Health Service office, Portland, Oregon. The records relate to environmental health issues affecting tribes in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. They are project files.
Records of the Tacoma Indian Hospital, Washington. The records are medical correspondence, hospital renovation files, cadet nurse training files, and reports.
Access to some files or portions of documents is restricted because of personal privacy concerns.
Record Group 92
Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General
In 1818 Congress created a Quartermaster's Department under a single Quartermaster General to ensure an efficient system of supply and accountability of Army officers charged with monies or supplies. At various times, the Quartermaster has been responsible for procurement and distribution of supplies, pay, transportation, and construction. After a number of changes in functions and command relationships, Congress authorized a Quartermaster Corps in 1912 and designated its chief the Quartermaster General in 1914. The Corps was responsible for the operation of a number of general supply depots and subdepots throughout the United States. The Office of the Quartermaster General was abolished in 1962. See RG 338 for related records.
Volume: 22 cubic feet
Records of the Auburn and Pasco, Washington, General Depots. The records document daily operations, and include administrative files, correspondence, and unit histories.
Records of the Seattle General Depot. The records relate to supply shipments to U.S. troops occupying the Philippine Islands after the insurrection (1899-1902); procurement and leasing of warehouses and docks during World War I; and personnel. They are subject correspondence files and logbooks.
Record Group 95
Records of the Forest Service
In 1881 a Division of Forestry was established in the Department of Agriculture. It became the Forest Service in 1905 when it assumed responsibility for the administration of forest reserves from the Department of the Interior. From 1933 to 1942, the Service supervised a large part of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) work program.
The Service is responsible for promoting the conservation and best use of national forests and grasslands through development of the National Forest System, cooperating with administrators of State and private forests, and conducting forest and range research programs.Records Description
Volume: 2145 cubic feet
Records of the following operations:
- Regional Office (Region 1), Missoula, Montana;
- Regional Office (Region 6), Portland, Oregon;
- Forest and Range Experimental Station, Boise, Idaho;
- Forest and Range Experimental Station, Missoula, Montana;
- Forest and Range Experimental Station, Moscow, Idaho;
- Forest and Range Experimental Station, Olympia, Washington;
- Forest and Range Experimental Station, Portland, Oregon;
- Forest Science Lab, Corvallis, Oregon;
- Forest Science Lab, Missoula, Montana;
- Forest Science Lab, Olympia, Washington;
- Intermountain Research Station, Moscow, Idaho;
- Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, Oregon;
- Beaverhead National Forest, Dillon, Montana;
- Bitterroot National Forest, Hamilton, Montana;
- Boise National Forest, Boise, Idaho;
- Caribou National Forest, Pocatello, Idaho;
- Challis National Forest, Challis, Idaho;
- Colville National Forest, Colville, Washington;
- Custer National Forest, Billings, Montana;
- Deerlodge National Forest, Butte, Montana;
- Deschutes National Forest, Bend, Oregon;
- Flathead National Forest, Kalispell, Montana;
- Fremont National Forest, Lakeview, Oregon;
- Gallatin National Forest, Bozeman, Montana;
- Gifford-Pinchot National Forest, Vancouver, Washington;
- Helena National Forest, Helena, Montana;
- Idaho Panhandle National Forest, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho;
- Kootenai National Forest, Libby, Montana;
- Lewis and Clark National Forest, Great Falls, Montana;
- Malheur National Forest, John Day, Oregon;
- Missoula National Forest, Missoula, Montana;
- Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Seattle, Washington;
- Mt. Hood National Forest, Gresham, Oregon;
- Nez Perce National Forest, Grangeville, Idaho;
- Ochoco National Forest, Prineville, Oregon;
- Okanogan National Forest, Okanogan, Washington;
- Olympic National Forest, Olympia, Washington;
- Payette National Forest, McCall, Idaho;
- Rogue River National Forest, Medford, Idaho;
- Salmon National Forest, Salmon, Idaho;
- Sawtooth National Forest, Twin Falls, Idaho;
- Siskiyou National Forest, Grants Pass, Oregon;
- Siuslaw National Forest, Corvallis, Oregon;
- Targhee National Forest, St. Anthony, Idaho;
- Umatilla National Forest, Pendleton, Oregon;
- Umpqua National Forest, Roseburg, Oregon ;
- Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, Baker, Oregon;
- Wenatchee National Forest, Wenatchee, Washington;
- Willamette National Forest, Eugene, Oregon;
- Winema National Forest, Klamath Falls, Oregon.
Folder title lists.
Harold T. Pinkett and Terry W. Good, comps., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Forest Service, PI 18 (1969).
Related Microfilm Publications
M1127, General Photographic File of the U.S. Forest Service, 1886- ;
M1128, Shelf List of Captions for the General Photograph File, U.S. Forest Service.
Record Group 96
Records of the Farmers Home Administration
The Farmers Home Administration (FHA) was established in the Department of Agriculture by an act of August 14, 1946, to succeed the Farm Security Administration (FSA), which had been established in 1937. The FSA succeeded the Resettlement Administration, which had been established in 1935 to administer rural rehabilitation and land programs begun in 1933 under the Subsistence Homesteads Division of the Department of the Interior and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration.
The FHA provides small farmers with credit to construct or repair homes, improve farming operations, or become farm owners, and gives individual guidance in farm and home management.Records Description
Volume: 85 cubic feet
Records of Region 11 Office (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington), Portland, and the following county offices:
- Jackson County, Oregon;
- King County, Washington;
- Walla Walla County, Washington;
- Yakima County, Washington.
Stanley W. Brown and Virgil E. Baugh, comps., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Farmers Home Administration, PI 118 (1959).