Archivist of the United States (N)
Archivist of the United States
David S. Ferriero
The Archivist of the United States plans, develops, and administers all programs and functions of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in accordance with the National Archives and Records Administration Act of 1984 (44 U.S.C.).
External Affairs Liaison
Plans and executes with the Archivist, Deputy Archivist, and Senior Staff a continuous program of liaison and partnering with allied national professional, scientific, and technical organizations, including:
- Assures that NARA mission, goals, services, and policies are clearly communicated with professional audiences and that all partnering opportunities are appropriately explored and executed.
- Develops an annual plan for contact, coordination, communication, and partnering with key professional, scientific, and technical allied national organizations.
- Establishes working relationships with senior leadership of allied national organizations and maintains regular contact to carry out the goals of the annual liaison plan.
- Conveys the positions, opinions, trends, and direction of the professional allied national organizations to the Archivist, Deputy Archivist, and Senior Staff through both informal and formal means.
- In coordination with NPOL, seeks innovative methods and opportunities to bring external input to NARA's strategic planning, customer relations, and annual regulatory agenda.
- Coordinates policy discussions with external stakeholders, professional associations, and special interest groups and advises the Archivist, Deputy Archivist, and Senior Staff onpolicy formation based on those discussions.
NARA's organization is based upon the priorities established in Preserving the Past to Protect the Future, the Strategic Plan of the National Archives and Records Administration.