Applied Research Calendar of Events
Here is a list of past and current events. Mark your calendar for upcoming events. Some of these events will be available via webcast, or will be videotaped for later viewing upon request.
- January-March - TechWatch Presentations
- February 15-16 - Networking and Information Technology Research & Development (NITRD) Program, 20th Anniversary Symposium/Reception featuring Applied Research partner, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), The Knight Conference Center, Newseum, Washington, DC.
- See NARA Event Flyer and the NCSA Demo Poster/Handout PDF
- December 20, 2011 - “At the Top of Our List: Thought Leaders You Should Know,” and “At the Heart of the Internet,” featuring Dr. George O. Strawn, Director of the National Coordination Office, Executive Office of the President (EOP), Networking and Information Technology Research & Development (NITRD) Program.
- See NARAtions blog posts http://blogs.archives.gov/online-public-access/?cat=52
- August 22-27, 2011 - Applied Research presentations at the Society of American Archivists (SAA) Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Dr. Maria Esteva, Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC), “Mapping Archival Practices to Information Visualization for Electronic Records Representation and Analysis.”
- Dr. Richard Marciano, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, “Managing Shared Digital Research Data in Federated Storage Clouds.”
- Dr. Kenton McHenry, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), “Computationally Scalable File Migration Services to Keep Your Files Current,” and “Searching the 1940 Census: Towards Free Searchable Access of Information within Forms Containing Handwriting.”
- Dr. William Underwood, Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI), “Archival Services for File and Record Type Identification and Metadata Extraction” and “Grammars and Parsers for Validating Binary File Formats.”
- July 13-16, 2011 - Applied Research presentations at the Joint Annual Meeting of the National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA) and the Council of State Archivists. Session C-14 "The Way We Were: The 1940 Census.”
Read the NARAtions blogpost. Presentation by Dr. Kenton McHenry "Towards Free and Searchable Access of the 1940s Census Data"
Winter-Spring 2011 (under predecessor organization, NCAST)
- May 5, 2011 - Applied Research Partners Forum, featuring Dr, Peter Bajcsy (National Center for Supercomputing Applications), Dr. Maria Esteva (Texas), and Dr. William Underwood, Georgia Tech Research Institute. Video
- May 6, 2011 - Mid Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC), Spring Meeting, Session S5. "New Tools to Address Electronic Records Challenges," Alexandria, VA.
- April 28, 2011 - NARA's Applied Research Lab contributes to Tri-State Educational Summit held at Rocket Center, WV. Read about the event on our NARAtions blog post
- April 12, 2011 - Media Access to Government Information Conference (MAGIC) .
A one-day conference sponsored by the National Archives and Duke University's DeWitt Wallace Center for Media and Democracy to enable better access to government records by journalists and others writing about public affairs. Held at the National Archives in Washington, DC, William G. McGowan Theatre. For more information
- March 21-22, 2011 - Open Government Research and Development Summit, hosted by the National Archives in Washington, DC, William G. McGowan Theatre and the Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD) with support from the MacArthur Foundation. For more information, see the Open Gov R&D Summit Agenda.
- January 19-20, 2011 - NCAST partner presentations "File Type Identification," and "Document Type Recognition and Decision Support for Archival Review," Dr. William Underwood, Georgia Tech Research Institute.
- November 17, 2010 - NCAST Presentations and Access Grid (virtual) presentation to State
Archives Administration of the People's Republic of China (SAAC).
- October 18-19, 2010 - NCAST partner presentation, Presentations by Dr. Maria Esteva, Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC).
- September 13, 2010 - 1940 Census: An Invitational Workshop with the U.S. Census Bureau, the National Science Foundation, National Archives and Records Administration, and the University of Maryland. The National Archives in College Park, MD. See Session 3 featuring NCAST research partners featuring NCAST research partners and Workshop Agenda
- August 11-13, 2010 - NCAST events for attendees at "DC 2010", the Joint Annual Meeting of CoSA, NAGARA, and SAA
For additional information about the above events, please call 301-837-1564 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.