Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
Carded Service Records of Hospital Attendants, Matrons and Nurses, 1861 - 1865
Help us transcribe records relating to the service of hospital attendants, matrons and nurses. They list the name, hospital muster roll and date of original record, when attached, capacity in which employed, by whom and to what date last paid, whether present or absent, and remarks. Copy our template of the form to speed up your transcription work: history.gov/message/31205
African American History
The National Archives holds a wealth of material documenting the African American experience. Explore our records documenting African American History and help transcribe these records to make them more searchable and discoverable in the Catalog. More information about African American research can be found on our website, archives.gov/research/african-americans
TVA Family Removal and Population Readjustment Case Files, 1937 - 1948
Transcribe case histories and family surveys of individuals affected by the Tennessee Valley Authority's (TVA) acquisition of land for dam and power production projects. Find a page without a blue tag and start transcribing. Thanks to Citizen Archivist Alex for the suggestion!
Award Cards, 1942 - 1963
Help us transcribe this large series of index cards for awards that include the Purple Heart, Air Medal Decoration, Commendation Medal, Distinguished Service Cross, and Distinguished Flying Cross. Information included consists of: name, service number, rank, general order number, order date and issuing organization, award type, date awarded and more.
World War II and Korean War Photographs
Help us transcribe the captions of these photographs documenting the activities of the U.S. Air Force and its predecessors during World War II and the Korean War, as well as U.S. military aviation history. You are welcome to also tag features and details you see in each photo.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Help us transcribe and tag records related to the Chinese Exclusion Era. We need your help transcribing these immigration records and tagging very specific details that will help provide greater access to these records. Please read the instructions on the mission page carefully and begin contributing.
Native American Photographs Tagging Mission
More than 18,000 photographs from the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) are now available in the Catalog. We are looking for Citizen Archivists to add specific topical subject tags to each photograph in the Record Group.
Adding tags will help increase access to these rich records
Record Group Explorer Missions
The National Archives recently launched a new pathway to view and explore our records: the Record Group Explorer. You can use this tool to see an overview of the scans of records currently available in our Catalog, organized by Record Group and format.
To celebrate the launch of the Record Group Explorer, we’ve created special missions for each Record Group. Give the Explorer a try while contributing as a citizen archivist! Jump in and help tag and transcribe:
- Record Group 469 Records of the U.S. Foreign Assistance Agencies
- Record Group 351: Records of the Government of the District of Columbia
We’ll feature additional Record Groups for future missions. Each of your contributions to these records will help unlock history and make them easier to find in our Catalog for other users.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Records of the U.S. Senate, 1789 - 2015, Draft of Joint Resolution H.R. 127 with Annotations, 5/10/1866 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793-1999, "Report of Children Eligible For Transfer To Nonreservation Schools.", 5/13/1911 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787 - 2004, Application for a Passport of Ding John with Enclosed Correspondence Regarding Immigration Investigation and Photograph, 5/13/1901 Transcribe this record.
- World War I File, 1917-1919: Field Orders and Reports: February, 1919, Special Order Number 3 Extract from Captain Roger T. Sermon, 2/6/1919 Transcribe this record.
- Cambridge Plating Co., Inc. v. Napco, Inc., Second Affidavit of Laurence A. Tosi, Jr., 1/6/1992 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1868-2008, Narrative Reports, Lacreek NWR, 1951 Transcribe this record.
- Memorandum from Major General V. S. Pan with Attached Bill of Lading, 1/21/1949 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950 - 1976, USARV Command Historian Reading File Jul-Dec 1967 Transcribe this record.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt address delivered on laying the cornerstone of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library in Hyde Park, New York, 11/19/1939 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Patent and Trademark Office, 1836 - 1978, 8409 - Klorisol, For a Disinfectant - Smith, Kline, & French Co. Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File of James M. Stewart Transcribe this record.
- Records of Interdepartmental and Intradepartmental Committees (State Department), 1917 - 1981, 334.0 Military Information Control Subcommittee, Part III THRU 334.0 Foreign Policy Information Subcommittee, Part I Transcribe this record.
- Records of U.S. Occupation Headquarters, World War II, 1923 - 1972, Records of the Currency Section Received from Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF), 1944 - 1945, 400/1 Organization: European Civil Affairs Unit, 1944-1945 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to Great Britain, 1791-1906, Volume 82- January 22-April 22, 1863 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Bertha Greaves, Widow of Clinton Greaves, Companies A, B, C, and H, 9th U.S. Cavalry Regiment; and Companies of Instruction B and C, General Service (WC-11779) Transcribe this record.
- Alice Bobo v. ITT Corporation and Continental Baking Company Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, Sacramento Field Representative File (Part 6 of 10) Transcribe this record.
- Esther Williams et. al. v. City of Kansas City, Missouri et. al. Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, Automobile Requisition File Transcribe this record.
- Letter from Mary Greenhow Lee to Rose Greenhow Expressing Sympathy about Capt. Treadwell S. Moore Fighting Against the South, 5/20/1861 Transcribe this record.
- Logbooks of Ships and Shore Installations, 1948-1972, USCGC Eastwind (WAG-279/WAGB-279), January 1956 - December 1956 Transcribe this record.
- Petition of Thomas Ross, Agent and Attorney of Joseph B. Woolfolk, Petition, 6/2/1826 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Forest Service, Historical Files, 1901 - 1962, F – Studies – General, 1938-48 Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume I, Tab 9, 1 of 2," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- U.S. v. Douglas Chandler in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Boston, May 29, 1947 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Public Buildings Service, 1801 - 2000, Letters Sent, 1/1858-1/1930, Vol. 2: Pages 950-1047: Letters 181-209 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Mary A. Meredith, Widow of Private Mathias Meredith, Company C, Osage County Regiment of Missouri Home Guards (WC-676177) Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
- Bankruptcy Act of 1898 Dockets, 1898 - 1979, Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, 1970 Transcribe this record.
- Records of Hospital Supplies, 11/13/1815 - 3/3/1817 Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com