Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
Escape and Evasion Reports
Transcribe reports that typically include typed or handwritten narrative that documents the escape and evasion experience of the escapee or evader. Reports can also include a brief questionnaire concerning the use of escape and evasion (E&E) training and equipment; an interrogation form with unit designation, target information, number of missions flown, date considered missing in action, date returned to U.S. or allied control, country of escape or evasion, and more.
"United States Colored Troops" - American Civil War
Help us transcribe the military service records of Union volunteer soldiers who served during the American Civil War. Records include jackets (folders) containing cards on which information relating to individuals, companies, and regiments of the Volunteer Service of the United States during the Civil War have been copied from original records such as muster rolls, returns, descriptive books, and morning reports.
Family Data Cards, 1906 - 1910
Transcribe Bureau of Indian Affairs records that include forms, correspondence, and receipts. The information includes file number; date married and how; husband's name and name of parents; wife's name and name of parents; children and dates of birth; and remarks. Some of the files contain correspondence about annuities, accounts, family members, enrollment, and Indian allotments. Some files include a family history.
Newspapers, 1960 - 1970
Transcribe school newspapers from Bureau of Indian Affairs schools throughout Alaska. The newspapers include news about school activities such as sports; dances; special projects by different classes; and programs including plays, 4-H club events, and student council affairs. Don't try to recreate the layout of the newspaper, just capture the text in a logical fashion.
Historical Nurse Files, ca. 1916 - ca. 1959
Help us transcribe case files on American National Red Cross nurses who served during the First and Second World Wars. Individual case files vary greatly in their contents, but they may include some or all of the following: correspondence, applications, letters of reference, military orders, efficiency reports, invoices, press clippings, reports, completed Red Cross forms (including biographical questionnaires), and memoranda.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Help us transcribe and tag records related to the Chinese Exclusion Era. We need your help transcribing these immigration records and tagging very specific details that will help provide greater access to these records. Please read the instructions on the mission page carefully and begin contributing.
Native American Photographs Tagging Mission
MISSION COMPLETED! Thanks to the contributions of Citizen Archivists, more than 18,000 photographs from the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) have been tagged with topical subject tags. These contributions helped to create the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid where the records can be viewed by Tribal Nation, Topic, or State.Explore the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
1950 Census Transcription Projects
The 1950 Census is here! We're looking for help transcribing the initial name index for the 1950 Census. While you can transcribe any name or any page within the 1950 Census, we've identified several specific areas where we'd like your help transcribing.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Records of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1868 - 2008, Historical Files for the Lake Hood Land and Seaplane Base Project, 1948 - 1950, Correspondence, 1948-1950 Transcribe this record.
- Lady Bird Johnson's Daily Diary Entry, 2/2/1964 Transcribe this record.
- Public Law 87-267: An Act to Repeal Sections 1176 and 1177 of the Revised Statutes of the United States Relating to the District of Columbia, 9/21/1961 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793 - 1999, Agricultural, Hunting, and Fishing Statistics, 1935 - 1972, 917 Agricultural Statistics & Production Belkofski [1938-52] Transcribe this record.
- Correspondence from Richard M. Bissell, Jr. to Robert N. Golding, with Attachments, 6/28/1951 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Department of State Relating to Internal Affairs of the Ukraine: 860E.00/108 THRU 860E.652/1: 1930-1939 Transcribe this record.
- Memorandum, Matthew Connelly to David Niles, 3/9/1948 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Athens, Greece, 1837-1906, Despatches: July 1, 1904 - August 6, 1906 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950 - 1976, 201-01 17th Military History Detachment Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1868 - 2008, Narrative Reports, 1991 Oregon Coastal Refuges Complex Transcribe this record.
- M179 - Miscellaneous Letters of the Department of State, 1789-1906, March 10 - 18, 1902 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America vs. James W. Lewis, also known as Robert Richardson, Transcripts Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Patent and Trademark Office, 1836 - 1978, 2455575 - Pickup Unit for Stringed Instruments - Clarence Fender and Clayton Kauffman Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File for Ernest L. Wrentmore Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to Japan, 1855-1906, Aug. 3, 1880 - Jan. 22, 1881 Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Cables, [Cables, memos, reports, and other material, 11/63-5/67] Vol. XVI, 8/16‑31/64, 1 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 7 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Osaka and Hiogo (Kobe), Japan, 1868-1906, Despatches: Volumes 11 - 12: May 6, 1901 - May 20, 1905; September 27, 1905 / Despatches: Liege: Volume 6 (part): June 6, 1905 - July 26, 1906 Transcribe this record.
- Welch and Johnson: [Olympic Games - Salt Lake City Bid] [Binder]  Transcribe this record.
- M179 - Miscellaneous Letters of the Department of State, 1789-1906, January 13 - 19, 1906 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to the Italian States, 1832-1906, Italy: Apr. 15-Dec, 27, 1899 Transcribe this record.
- Records of U.S. Attorneys, 1821 - 1994, Case Files, 1866 - 1909, 73. U.S. v. George E. Dunton Transcribe this record.
- Statement of United States Citizen of Japanese Ancestry for Mitsuo Toriguchi, 12/29/1944 Transcribe this record.
- Report, Summary of United States Government Economic and Military Aid Authorized for China Since 1937, 1/1950 Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume I, Tabs 1-8, 2 of 2," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- Bankruptcy Act of 1898 Dockets, 1898 - 1979, Reading Company, 1971 Transcribe this record.
- Logbooks of Ships and Shore Installations, 1948-1972, USCGC Eastwind (WAG-279/WAGB-279), January 1956 - December 1956 Transcribe this record.
- General Records of the Department of State, 1763 - 2002, Letters Received, 1789 - 1906, September THRU October 1817 Transcribe this record.
- U.S. v. Douglas Chandler in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Boston, May 29, 1947 Transcribe this record.
- General Index to Appointments, 7/1932 - 6/1935, General Index Book 1 Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com