Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
African American History
The National Archives holds a wealth of material documenting the African American experience. Explore our records documenting African American History and help transcribe these records to make them more searchable and discoverable in the Catalog. More information about African American research can be found on our website, archives.gov/research/african-americans
TVA Family Removal and Population Readjustment Case Files, 1937 - 1948
Transcribe case histories and family surveys of individuals affected by the Tennessee Valley Authority's (TVA) acquisition of land for dam and power production projects. Find a page without a blue tag and start transcribing. Thanks to Citizen Archivist Alex for the suggestion!
Award Cards, 1942 - 1963
Help us transcribe this large series of index cards for awards that include the Purple Heart, Air Medal Decoration, Commendation Medal, Distinguished Service Cross, and Distinguished Flying Cross. Information included consists of: name, service number, rank, general order number, order date and issuing organization, award type, date awarded and more.
Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant
Help us transcribe records relating to the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant in Seabrook, New Hampshire from the National Archives at Boston. They cover 1973-1979, a period when there was a great deal of legal activity with the Clamshell Alliance, an anti-nuclear power citizens' group.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Help us transcribe and tag records related to the Chinese Exclusion Era. We need your help transcribing these immigration records and tagging very specific details that will help provide greater access to these records. Please read the instructions on the mission page carefully and begin contributing.
Presidential Libraries Road Trip
Earlier this year, in honor of Presidents Day, we virtually traveled the country to bring you a series of Citizen Archivist missions featuring records from the Presidential Libraries across the National Archives.
We still have records left to transcribe. Will you help us complete the missions? .
Record Group Explorer Missions
The National Archives recently launched a new pathway to view and explore our records: the Record Group Explorer. You can use this tool to see an overview of the scans of records currently available in our Catalog, organized by Record Group and format.
To celebrate the launch of the Record Group Explorer, we’ve created special missions for each Record Group. Give the Explorer a try while contributing as a citizen archivist! Jump in and help tag and transcribe:
- Record Group 469 Records of the U.S. Foreign Assistance Agencies
- Record Group 351: Records of the Government of the District of Columbia
We’ll feature additional Record Groups for future missions. Each of your contributions to these records will help unlock history and make them easier to find in our Catalog for other users.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email email@example.com
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Act of August 26, 1935 ("Public Utility Act of 1935"), Public Law 74-333, 49 STAT 803 "to provide for control and regulation of public-utility holding companies, and for other purposes.", 8/26/1935 Transcribe this record.
- 206-01 Correspondence - Technical Letters, Outgoing 1967 Transcribe this record.
- Zinnamon v. Board of Education of the Pulaski County Special School District, Motion to Shorten Time, 6/12/1972 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Domestic Policy Council (Clinton Administration), ca. 1992 - 1/20/2001, [Admin Files] Administration Accomplishments 2 Transcribe this record.
- Appellate Case Files, 1891 - 1998, 87-1447. James J. Rodwell v. Michael Fair, etc., et al. Transcribe this record.
- Ted Davis, et. al. v. St. Louis Housing Authority Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Deployment of Major U.S. Forces to Vietnam, July 1965, Volume 1, Tabs 1-10," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 40 Transcribe this record.
- 206-01 Advisory Team Historical Program-Assistance Visits [PT 2 of2] 1967 Transcribe this record.
- William Bennett v. Francis Roach et al. Transcribe this record.
- Slave Compensation File for Claimant John M. Davis, Affidavit of Ownership and Loyalty for John M. Davis, 1/1/1867 Transcribe this record.
- Plans for the Battleships USS Kearsarge (BB-5) and USS Kentucky (BB-6), USS Kearsarge (BB-5) and USS Kentucky (BB-6): Coloring Pipes, 8/13/1900 Transcribe this record.
- Alice Bobo v. ITT Corporation and Continental Baking Company Transcribe this record.
- Endangered Species Delisting Files, 1975 - 2000, Reclassification of the Aleutian Canada Goose [1 of 2] Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension Application File for Betsy Grisum Smith, Widow of Alexander Smith, Company A, 5th USCT Heavy Artillery Regiment (Application No. WC109998) Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, Sacramento Field Representative File (Part 4 of 10) Transcribe this record.
- Esther Williams et. al. v. City of Kansas City, Missouri et. al. Transcribe this record.
- Portland Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, Alphabetical File: E Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1868 - 2008, Narrative Reports 1911-2001, Imperial NWR, 1946 Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Cables, [Cables, memos, reports, and other material, 11/63-5/67] Vol. XV, 8/1964," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 7 Transcribe this record.
- CA 306 Preston W. Grace and Charlotte B. Grace v. John D. MacArthur, Ronnie Smith and Bankers Life and Casualty Company, 1938 - 1994, Deposition of Ronnie Smith, 9/18/1959 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Forest Service, Historical Files, 1901 - 1962, F – Studies – General, 1949 Transcribe this record.
- Slave Compensation File for Claimant John M. Davis, Bill of Sale for John M. Davis, 8/8/1850 Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, [R1A.04] Pomona Field Representative File Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume I, Tab 9, 1 of 2," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America v. Robert Harvey Transcribe this record.
- U.S. v. Douglas Chandler in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Boston, May 29, 1947 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Public Buildings Service, 1801 - 2000, Letters Sent, 1/1858-1/1930, Vol. 2: Pages 950-1047: Letters 181-209 Transcribe this record.
- Criminal Case Files, 1879-1987, The United States v. Fremont Weeks Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Mattie Victoria Bailey, Widow of James Bailey, Company I, 75th Ohio Infantry Regiment (WC-752571)Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
- Bankruptcy Act of 1898 Dockets, 1898 - 1979, Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, 1970 Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org