Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
Escape and Evasion Reports
Transcribe reports that typically include typed or handwritten narrative that documents the escape and evasion experience of the escapee or evader. Reports can also include a brief questionnaire concerning the use of escape and evasion (E&E) training and equipment; an interrogation form with unit designation, target information, number of missions flown, date considered missing in action, date returned to U.S. or allied control, country of escape or evasion, and more.
"United States Colored Troops" - American Civil War
Help us transcribe the military service records of Union volunteer soldiers who served during the American Civil War. Records include jackets (folders) containing cards on which information relating to individuals, companies, and regiments of the Volunteer Service of the United States during the Civil War have been copied from original records such as muster rolls, returns, descriptive books, and morning reports.
Confederate Payrolls of Enslaved People
Can you read cursive writing? Help us transcribe payrolls for enslaved labor on Confederate military defenses including forts, entrenchments, obstructions on navigable rivers, "nitre" works, harness-making shops, ordnance works, and arsenals, in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. You are also welcome to tag names and places found on each page.
European Name Index to the Series "Case Files, 1944-1949"
Help us transcribe index cards that contain the name of an individual, a case number, a summary of information from the case relating to the individual, the letter "V" (victim), "W" (witness), or "A" (accused), and often the date the document being described was filed and the document number.
Second Release of Subject Files Under the Nazi War Crimes and Japanese Imperial Government Disclosure Acts
Transcribe reports, memorandums, messages, summaries, correspondence, dispatches, translations, contracts, receipts, biographies, financial records, itineraries, organizational charts, lists, minutes, transcripts, tables, maps, administrative records, legal documents, chronologies, and other records. Most of the records relate to Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) projects aimed at overthrowing or weakening Communist governments in Soviet Bloc countries during the Cold War.
Loula West Cases, 1905 - 1907
Help us transcribe papers filed in proceedings relating to multiracial children seeking enrollment as Choctaw or Chickasaw Citizens by Blood. These "Loula West Cases" generally include the names of all applicants and their attorneys, general genealogical material, a summary of papers filed and proceedings held, the decision of the Commission, actions taken by the Secretary of the Interior, and references to related cases.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Help us transcribe and tag records related to the Chinese Exclusion Era. We need your help transcribing these immigration records and tagging very specific details that will help provide greater access to these records. Please read the instructions on the mission page carefully and begin contributing.
Native American Photographs Tagging Mission
MISSION COMPLETED! Thanks to the contributions of Citizen Archivists, more than 18,000 photographs from the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) have been tagged with topical subject tags. These contributions helped to create the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid where the records can be viewed by Tribal Nation, Topic, or State.Explore the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid
Record Group Explorer Missions
The National Archives recently launched a new pathway to view and explore our records: the Record Group Explorer. You can use this tool to see an overview of the scans of records currently available in our Catalog, organized by Record Group and format.
To celebrate the launch of the Record Group Explorer, we’ve created special missions for each Record Group. Give the Explorer a try while contributing as a citizen archivist! Jump in and help tag and transcribe:
- Record Group 469 Records of the U.S. Foreign Assistance Agencies
- Record Group 351: Records of the Government of the District of Columbia
We’ll feature additional Record Groups for future missions. Each of your contributions to these records will help unlock history and make them easier to find in our Catalog for other users.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email email@example.com
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Letter from Senator Ernest McFarland to Harry S. Truman, with Attachments and Referral Memoranda, 3/1948 Transcribe this record.
- General Records, 1965 - 1972, 201-07 After Action Reports - Briefing Notes - 1971 Transcribe this record.
- Deployment of Major U.S. Forces to Vietnam, July 1965: Volume 2, Folder, "Deployment of Major U.S. Forces to Vietnam, July 1965, Volume 2, Tabs 88-119," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 40 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Committee on Fair Employment Practice, 1940 - 1946, Case Files 6/1942 - 11/1945, American Telephone and Telegraph Company, Long Lines Department Transcribe this record.
- Criminal Case Files, 1879 - 1987, United States of America v. Cliff Ford Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to Mexico, 1823-1906, Volume 147; September, 1900 Transcribe this record.
- Deeds and Related Title Records Concerning Land Acquired in the District of Columbia, 1927 - 1957, Square 511 - Lot 80 Cohn Transcribe this record.
- Black and White Photographs of Marine Corps Activities in Vietnam, 1962 - 1975, 43 - Animals - 1967 (5-legged &"sacred&" bull) - December 5, 1967, 12/5/1967 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950 - 1976, USARV Command Historian Reading File May-Jun 1967 Transcribe this record.
- United States v. William S. Porter, Defendant's Bill of Exception Number One, 3/31/1898 Transcribe this record.
- Report Number 703, Submitted by Congressman Laurie C. Battle, Providing for the Control by the United States and Cooperating Foreign Nations of Exports to Any Nation or Combination of Nations Threatening the Security of the United States, Including the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics and All Countries Under its Domination, 7/16/1951 Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File for Ernest L. Wrentmore Transcribe this record.
- Records of Naval Districts and Shore Establishments, 1784 - 2000, Circulars of the Bureau of Provision and Clothing, 5/18/1848 - 10/20/1866 Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File for Leonard Matlovich Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Cables, [Cables, memos, reports, and other material, 11/63-5/67] Vol. XVI, 8/16‑31/64, 1 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 7 Transcribe this record.
- Appellate Jurisdiction Case Files, 1792 - 2017, Case File 116, October Term 1966, In Re Gault Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File of James M. Stewart Transcribe this record.
- Records of Interdepartmental and Intradepartmental Committees (State Department), 1917 - 1981, 334.0 Military Information Control Subcommittee, Part III THRU 334.0 Foreign Policy Information Subcommittee, Part I Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Bertha Greaves, Widow of Clinton Greaves, Companies A, B, C, and H, 9th U.S. Cavalry Regiment; and Companies of Instruction B and C, General Service (WC-11779) Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, Sacramento Field Representative File (Part 7 of 10) Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, [R7.20] Los Angeles Branch Motor Vehicle Forms (Part 5 of 27) Transcribe this record.
- United States versus Castner Hanaway et. al., #1 October Session 1851, Justice Robert C. Grier's Instructions to the Jury in U.S. v. Castner Hanaway, 12/11/1851 Transcribe this record.
- In the Matter of the Petition of the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company, Limited, for Limitation of its Liability as owner of the steamship TITANIC, Parcel List Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume I, Tab 9, 2 of 2," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- Bankruptcy Act of 1898 Dockets, 1898 - 1979, Reading Company, 1971 Transcribe this record.
- Logbooks of Ships and Shore Installations, 1948-1972, USCGC Eastwind (WAG-279/WAGB-279), January 1956 - December 1956 Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume I, Tab 9, 1 of 2," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- U.S. v. Douglas Chandler in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Boston, May 29, 1947 Transcribe this record.
- War Department Collection of Revolutionary War Records, 1709 - 1939, Numbered Record Books, 1894 - 1913, British Orderly Book Transcribe this record.
- Criminal Case Files, 1879 - 1987, United States of America v. Rose Pastor Stokes Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org