Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
World War I: Capture the Captions
This series of World War I photographs documents American activity on the home front and on the battlefield during the war years. Help "capture the captions" by transcribing the text found on each photograph card. For extra credit, tag features and details found within each photograph.
Alaska Road Commission
Help us transcribe appropriate acts, memos, correspondence, reports and more. The materials document the Commissioner of Roads' policies and procedures in the formulation and implementation of the work of building roads, bridges, ferries, and trails in the Territory of Alaska.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Master Speech Files
Transcribe public statements, speeches and addresses delivered by Franklin D. Roosevelt during his lifetime. The speeches range from a 1898 school debate on the annexation of Hawaii while Roosevelt was a student at Groton School to the draft of the April 13, 1945 Jackson Day address that Roosevelt never delivered because of his death the day before.
Forest Service Historical Files, 1901-1962
Transcribe records relating to all aspects of administrative functions of the Intermountain regional office. Topics include water resources, timber management and sales, fire control, buildings, roads and trails, inspections, supervision, general studies, photographic surveys, cooperative programs, public information and education, equipment and materials, legislation, and ranger activities.
Recommendations for Employment, 1861 - 1867
Transcribe correspondence concerning employment at the Schuylkill Arsenal in Philadelphia. Most of the records are letters of recommendation by various politicians and other notable citizens for individuals seeking jobs at the Arsenal, primarily during the Civil War. The majority of the applicants are women who had relatives in the Union Army.
Award Cards, 1942 - 1963
Help us transcribe this large series of index cards for awards that include the Purple Heart, Air Medal Decoration, Commendation Medal, Distinguished Service Cross, and Distinguished Flying Cross. Information included consists of: name, service number, rank, general order number, order date and issuing organization, award type, date awarded and more.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Record Group Explorer Missions
The National Archives recently launched a new pathway to view and explore our records: the Record Group Explorer. You can use this tool to see an overview of the scans of records currently available in our Catalog, organized by Record Group and format.
To celebrate the launch of the Record Group Explorer, we’ve created special missions for each Record Group. Give the Explorer a try while contributing as a citizen archivist! Jump in and help tag and transcribe:
- Record Group 469 Records of the U.S. Foreign Assistance Agencies
- Record Group 351: Records of the Government of the District of Columbia
We’ll feature additional Record Groups for future missions. Each of your contributions to these records will help unlock history and make them easier to find in our Catalog for other users.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email email@example.com
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Lady Bird Johnson's Daily Diary Entry, 3/4/1967 Transcribe this record.
- Shopping List for Reception of the Chiefs of Missions of the Diplomatic Corps, 1/24/1949 Transcribe this record.
- United States v. Clure Isenhouer, et. al., Commitment for Earl Whitten, 10/22/1917 Transcribe this record.
- Log of President Harry S. Truman's Trip to Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Fourth Key West, Florida, 3/1948 Transcribe this record.
- World War I File, 1917-1919: Field Orders and Reports: January, 1919, General Order Number 4 from Colonel H. S. Hawkins, 1/8/1919 Transcribe this record.
- McWilliams, Julia C., Application and Personal History Statement - Julia Carolyn McWilliams, 6/12/1942 Transcribe this record.
- Executive Grant of Clemency, 12/23/1955 Transcribe this record.
- Command Chronology Report of 1st Battalion 27th Marine Regiment Transcribe this record.
- Madalyn Murray O'Hair and Richard F. O'Hair v. Thomas O. Paine, Affidavit, 9/17/1969 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950 - 1976, 206-01 Combat Artist Program - Policy File 1966 Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File for Doris Miller Transcribe this record. (Featured in the Catalog newsletter!)
- Letters Received from Commissioned Officers Below the Rank of Commander and from Warrant Officers, 1802 - 1886. Letter(s) received from Ridgely, Daniel B. Transcribe this record.
- United States v. William S. Porter. Final Commitment, 3/28/1898 Transcribe this record.
- Esther Williams et. al. v. City of Kansas City, Missouri et. al. Transcribe this record.
- Petition for Writ of Certiorari - Number 676 - Kameny v. Brucker Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Security Council European Affairs Office (Clinton Administration), ca. 1993 - ca. 2001, Congressional Correspondence Regarding the Balkans Transcribe this record.
- United States of America, as Guardian of the Indians of the Pueblo of Santa Clara, in the State of New Mexico v. Santiago Abeyta, et al.: Final Decree, 6/25/1931 Transcribe this record.
- "Operation Pierce Arrow, 8/1964, 2 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 228 Transcribe this record.
- History of Langley Air Field, Inception to March 1, 1935, 1945 Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Memos, [Cables, memos, reports, and other material, 11/63-5/67] Vol. XV, 8/1964," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 7 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America v. Alvin Karpavicz, et al. Transcribe this record.
- San Francisco Branch Evacuee Property Files, 3/18/1942 - 6/30/1946, Head Office Interview Reports: C Transcribe this record.
- General Photographic File of the Commission of Fine Arts, ca. 1910 - 1950 Transcribe this record.
- Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685 - 2009, Criminal Case Files, 1879-1987, U.S. v. Frank James Transcribe this record.
- U.S. v. Douglas Chandler in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Boston, May 29, 1947 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Terrick Compton, Father of Private William Compton, Company H, 2nd New York Cavalry Regiment Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
- Records of the Public Buildings Service, 1801 - 2000, Letters Sent, 1/1858-1/1930, Vol. 2: Pages 950-1047: Letters 181-209 Transcribe this record.
- Applications of Chinese Laborers for Certificates of Return to the United States, 1895 - 1900, Wong Ah Jee, 8/31/1896 Transcribe this record.
- Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685 - 2009, Criminal Case Files, 1879-1987, U.S. v. Adam Richetti and Charles Floyd Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Mary J. Matthews, Widow of 1st Lieutenant John P. Matthews, Company C, 30th Iowa Infantry Regiment (WC-56842) Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org