Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
World War I: Capture the Captions
This series of World War I photographs documents American activity on the home front and on the battlefield during the war years. Help "capture the captions" by transcribing the text found on each photograph card. For extra credit, tag features and details found within each photograph.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Master Speech Files
Transcribe public statements, speeches and addresses delivered by Franklin D. Roosevelt during his lifetime. The speeches range from a 1898 school debate on the annexation of Hawaii while Roosevelt was a student at Groton School to the draft of the April 13, 1945 Jackson Day address that Roosevelt never delivered because of his death the day before.
Forest Service Historical Files, 1901-1962
Transcribe records relating to all aspects of administrative functions of the Intermountain regional office. Topics include water resources, timber management and sales, fire control, buildings, roads and trails, inspections, supervision, general studies, photographic surveys, cooperative programs, public information and education, equipment and materials, legislation, and ranger activities.
Card Files Relating to Indians in World War I, 1920
Help us transcribe lists of Indian officers, of Indians receiving decorations, of Indian nurses, and of Indians at work in Washington, DC. Also included are cards for individual Indians which list the name, rank, and tribe. Thanks to Citizen Archivist Alex for the suggestion of this mission!
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
NASA Space Flight Programs
Within the archival film holdings from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration at the National Archives, you will find moving images relating to NASA space flight programs, including Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, and the joint United States-Soviet Union program Apollo-Soyuz.
This incredible series of films includes footage of rigorous training exercises, mock run-throughs, launches, parachute and spacecraft recovery, and other astronaut activities, all detailing the meticulous steps involved in mission preparation and space exploration.
Help tag descriptive details within these NASA films relating to space flight programs. You can tag names of astronauts, locations, launches, and even machinery and equipment shown within each film. Every tag helps makes these records more searchable.
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Give voice to American soldiers and help transcribe records from the National Archives on the Zooniverse platform:
- The American Soldier: Transcribe this remarkable collection of more than 65,000 handwritten reflections by U.S. soldiers who fought during the Second World War.
- African American Civil War Soldiers: Transcribe military records of over 200,000 African Americans soldiers who fought for their freedom in the American Civil War.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Letter from Dean Rusk to Dean Acheson, 6/25/1953 Transcribe this record.
- White House Luncheon and Dinner Menu, 4/16/1952 Transcribe this record.
- United States v. Clure Isenhouer, et. al., Petition for Writ of Error, 10/16/1917 Transcribe this record.
- AA [Antiaircraft] Defense on the Continent in Connection with Overlord Transcribe this record.
- Robert Boorstin's Files, ca. 1994 - ca. 1995, "Bill of Rights" Book - Draft no. 1 Transcribe this record.
- World War I File, 1917-1919: Field Orders and Reports: February, 1919, Memorandum from Adjutant General Robert C. Davis, 2/14/1919 Transcribe this record.
- London Despatch No. 2377 from John H. Bruins to the Department of State Transmitting a Copy of "Facts and Documents Concerning Polish Prisoners of War Captured by the U.S.S.R. During the 1939 Campaign", 11/17/1950 Transcribe this record.
- Julia C. McWilliams, Report of Efficiency Rating, 4/24/1943 Transcribe this record.
- Records Relating to Key Persons, 11/30/1963 - 9/24/1964. Howell, Charlotte Transcribe this record.
- Madalyn Murray O'Hair and Richard F. O'Hair v. Thomas O. Paine, Motion to Dismiss, 10/13/1969 Transcribe this record.
- Petition for Writ of Certiorari - Number 676 - Kameny v. Brucker Transcribe this record.
- Civil War Prize Case Files, 1861 - 1865, United States vs. A. D. Vance Transcribe this record.
- Public Law 87-14: An Act Making Supplemental Appropriations for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1961, and for Other Purposes, 3/31/1961 Transcribe this record.
- Letter from Senor Don Enrique Dupuy de Lôme to Senor Don Jose Canelejas, 1898 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America, as Guardian of the Indians of the Pueblo of Santa Clara, in the State of New Mexico v. Santiago Abeyta, et al.: Final Decree, 6/25/1931 Transcribe this record.
- "Operation Pierce Arrow, 8/1964, 2 of 2," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 228 Transcribe this record.
- Project History Columbia Basin Project, First Stage Development (Low-Dam Power Project), 1934 Transcribe this record.
- Personnel Files of Notable Treasury Employees, 1822 - 1940, Whitman, Walt Transcribe this record.
- Collender, Hugh W. v. Came, John E., et al. Transcribe this record.
- Folder, "Memos, [Cables, memos, reports, and other material, 11/63-5/67] Vol. XV, 8/1964," Vietnam Country File, NSF, Box 7 Transcribe this record.
- Interrogation Reports, 1941 - 1945, Material dealt with Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Indian Arts and Crafts Board, Correspondence, Juneau 1938-49 Transcribe this record.
- Return Certificate Case File of Chinese Departing -- Look Tin Eli (12017/11150) Transcribe this record.
- Bounty Land File of John B. Ellis, Captain Henderson's Company of Alabama Volunteers Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
- Approved Pension File for Terrick Compton, Father of Private William Compton, Company H, 2nd New York Cavalry Regiment Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
- United States v. Albert Bates, et.al. Transcript of Record, 10/13/1934 Transcribe this record.
- John F. Tinker et. al. v. The Des Moines Independent Community School District et. al. Transcribe this record.
- Correspondence regarding witness filed in the U.S. Attorneys' Records on Spiro T. Agnew Transcribe this record.
- "Presidential Decisions-Gulf of Tonkin Attacks of August 1964-Volume II, Tabs 18-22," NSC Histories, NSF, Box 38 Transcribe this record.
- Approved Pension File for Mary J. Matthews, Widow of 1st Lieutenant John P. Matthews, Company C, 30th Iowa Infantry Regiment (WC-56842) Transcribe this record. (Scanned by Citizen Archivists in the Innovation Hub!)
Questions? Email us at email@example.com