Citizen Archivist Missions
Ready to start tagging and transcribing? We've curated these topical missions to help you jump in and contribute! Click on a topic that interests you, and it will bring you right to those historical records in our Catalog. Tagging and transcribing makes these records more accessible to everyone. New missions are added and updated regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.
New to our Citizen Archivist program? Learn how to register and get started.
Escape and Evasion Reports
Transcribe reports that typically include typed or handwritten narrative that documents the escape and evasion experience of the escapee or evader. Reports can also include a brief questionnaire concerning the use of escape and evasion (E&E) training and equipment; an interrogation form with unit designation, target information, number of missions flown, date considered missing in action, date returned to U.S. or allied control, country of escape or evasion, and more.
Indian Arts and Crafts Board Correspondence, 1935 - 1983
Transcribe correspondence between the Alaska Field Office of the Indian Arts and Crafts Board and its headquarters in Washington, DC; other government agencies; and individuals in Anchorage, Juneau, Nome, and Sitka. The correspondence documents the process of encouraging the production of Native arts and crafts in Alaska.
West Point Military Academy, ca. 1912 - ca. 1934
Help us tag features and details found in photographs from West Point Military Academy to make them more searchable. You can add tags that point out location, rank, activities, equipment, vehicles, clothing, uniforms, animals, and more. Need help? See our tutorial What Makes a Good Tag - https://www.archives.gov/citizen-archivist/what-makes-a-good-tag
Franklin D. Roosevelt's Message Files
Transcribe messages sent or received by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and by his immediate family and advisors. These messages record the actions taken personally by President Roosevelt and his staff on the major diplomatic and military questions of World War II.
Records of the 1976 Campaign Committee to Elect Jimmy Carter
Help us transcribe records that document all aspects of Jimmy Carter's 1976 presidential campaign. This includes the formation of political strategy; polling data; administrative type of work such as personnel and budget matters; development of recommended positions and proposals on issues; scheduling all activities pertaining to Governor Carter's travel; field staff operations in other regions; and support staff material for both the Carter family and Walter Mondale.
Ships' Records, 1846 - 1963
Help us transcribe deck logs for Coast and Geodetic Survey ships. For this mission we'd like you to transcribe the remarks and narrative section of the record and to not focus on the charts and tables. You can transcribe lists of officer names, the handwritten events of the day, descriptions of surveying activity, and more.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outside the Box Missions
Up for a challenge or something different? We often have records that require special work in order to make them more accessible.
Help us transcribe and tag records related to the Chinese Exclusion Era. We need your help transcribing these immigration records and tagging very specific details that will help provide greater access to these records. Please read the instructions on the mission page carefully and begin contributing.
Native American Photographs Tagging Mission
MISSION COMPLETED! Thanks to the contributions of Citizen Archivists, more than 18,000 photographs from the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) have been tagged with topical subject tags. These contributions helped to create the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid where the records can be viewed by Tribal Nation, Topic, or State.Explore the Bureau of Indian Affairs Photographs Finding Aid
Transcriber Task Force
Seeking expert transcribers! We’ve gathered records that have tricky elements for our expert transcribers. You may find only a few pages that are difficult or the whole record. If you’d like to join our Transcriber Task Force and get emails for special projects, send us an email email@example.com
1950 Census Transcription Projects
The 1950 Census is here! We're looking for help transcribing the initial name index for the 1950 Census. While you can transcribe any name or any page within the 1950 Census, we've identified several specific areas where we'd like your help transcribing.
Jump in and help us transcribe these individual records. Documenting events throughout United States history, transcribers of all skill levels are sure to find something new and interesting in these featured records!
- Memorandum from W. Walton Butterworth to Secretary of State Dean Acheson, 1/3/1950 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Park Service, 1785 - 2006, Central Subject Files, 1919 - 1981 D3415 Buildings - Construction and Maintenance Transcribe this record.
- Memorandum from Robert N. Golding to D. A. FitzGerald, with Attachments, 10/11/1951 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Department of State Relating to Internal Affairs of the Ukraine: 860E.00/108 THRU 860E.652/1: 1930-1939 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793 - 1999, Administrative Files, 1911 - 1967, 072- Feasts, Fiestas, Festivals Transcribe this record.
- Central National Bank Savings and Trust Company, as Trustee; The Thompson Transit Corporation; H. C. Hutchinson, Receiver vs Automobile Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut, Narrative Transcribe this record.
- Records of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1868 - 2008, Narrative Reports, 1974 Charles M. Russell NWR Transcribe this record.
- Judgment and Commitment against Kiyoshi Okamoto, 11/2/19442 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793 - 1999, Correspondence Relating to Reindeer Herds in Alaska, 1911 - 1960, Adak [1944-48] Transcribe this record.
- Lady Bird Johnson's Daily Diary Entry, 1/15/1967 Transcribe this record.
- Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1988, Logbook of the USS Monterey, Monterey (CVL-26) - July 1944 Transcribe this record.
- United States of America vs. James W. Lewis, also known as Robert Richardson, Filings, Orders, and Opinions Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793 - 1999, Agricultural, Hunting, and Fishing Statistics, 1935 - 1972, 917 Agricultural Statistics & Production Birch Creek [1963-66] Transcribe this record.
- Official Military Personnel File for Ernest L. Wrentmore Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to Japan, 1855-1906, Aug. 3, 1880 - Jan. 22, 1881 Transcribe this record.
- Records of U.S. Attorneys, 1821-1994, Precedent Case Files, 1933 - 1973, File on Wolff - Collins filed in the U.S. Attorneys' Records on Spiro T. Agnew Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Osaka and Hiogo (Kobe), Japan, 1868-1906, Despatches: Volumes 11 - 12: May 6, 1901 - May 20, 1905; September 27, 1905 / Despatches: Liege: Volume 6 (part): June 6, 1905 - July 26, 1906 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the National Park Service, 1785 - 2006, Central Subject Files, 1919 - 1981, C34 Santa Fe Railway Transcribe this record.
- M179 - Miscellaneous Letters of the Department of State, 1789-1906, January 3, 1806 - December 31, 1807 Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Ministers to the Italian States, 1832-1906, Italy: Apr. 15-Dec, 27, 1899 Transcribe this record.
- General Records of the Department of State, 1763 - 2002, Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Liverpool, England, 1790-1906, Despatches: July 1 - December 23, 1863 Transcribe this record.
- Index to Hawaiian Certificates of Identity Transcribe this record.
- 1910-1920: Incoming Miscellaneous Executive Bureaus: Fuel Administration, 03/09/1918 To Railroad Administration, 11/15/1919 Transcribe this record.
- Bankruptcy Act of 1898 Dockets, 1898 - 1979, Reading Company, 1971 Transcribe this record.
- Logbooks of Ships and Shore Installations, 1948-1972, USCGC Eastwind (WAG-279/WAGB-279), January 1956 - December 1956 Transcribe this record.
- Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, 1793 - 1999, District Files: Northern: 1908 - 1911 Transcribe this record.
- Criminal Case Files, 1790 - 1912, United States v. Edward M. Williams Transcribe this record.
- General Index to Appointments, 7/1932 - 6/1935, General Index Book 1 Transcribe this record.
- Naval Records Collection of the Office of Naval Records and Library, 1691 - 1945, Letters Received from Commissioned Officers Below the Rank of Commander and from Warrant Officers, 1802 - 1886, Letter(s) received from Johnson, Henry Transcribe this record.
- Despatches from U.S. Consuls in Athens, Greece, 1837-1906, Despatches: January 16, 1898 - June 30, 1904 Transcribe this record.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org