"Chandelier, 4 or 5 Light"
By James G. Hill, ca. 1876-81 Ink on tracing linen
17" x 9 1/2" National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Public
Gas Light Chandelier As Supervising Architect of the Department of the
Treasury, 187684, James G. Hill was responsible for the plans of
all Federal courthouses. As part of his job, he approved this design for
a typical gaslight chandelier for the U.S. Courthouse and Post Office
in Little Rock, Arkansas. Noted for its Italian Renaissance design, this
building served Little Rock's postal needs until 1932 when a new post
office was built. The Federal court remained in Hill's building until
1939. It has been restored to serve as a U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and reproductions
of this original chandelier will be installed.