"Elevation and Sections of the Capstans, Gearing
and Spool, New Locks of the Louisville & Portland Canal"
Delineated by H. Werner, 1872
Ink and wash on paper with margin tape sewn on
28 1/2" x 49 1/4" National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Office
of the Chief of Engineers
Louisville & Portland Canal In 1830 the Louisville and Portland Canal, a 50-foot-wide,
man-made waterway opened for traffic. It allowed river boats to bypass
the falls on the Ohio River at Louisville, Kentucky. After the Civil War,
the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers widened the canal to 90 feet and made
other improvements. This drawing shows the new lock mechanisms.