Front Elevation, U.S. Branch Mint, Carson City,
By Alfred B. Mullet, 1866
Ink and wash on paper
22 7/8 x 35 7/8 National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the public
Branch Mint, Carson City, Nevada The U.S. Branch Mint in Carson City, Nevada, was
the first building designed by Alfred B. Mullett after he became Supervising
Architect of the Department of the Treasury. The simple Renaissance Revival
style stone facade has pairs of round-headed windows and a center portico.
Built at the peak of the silver boom, 57 issues of silver coins minted
here between 1870 and 1893 bore the "CC" mint mark. From 1895 to 1933,
the building served as the U.S. Assay Office for gold and silver. The
Federal Government sold the building to the state of Nevada in 1939. Today
it is the home of the Nevada State Museum.