"Indian Industrial School, Genoa, Nebr."
Ink on tracing linen
24" x 36 1/2" National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Bureau
of Indian Affairs
Indian Industrial School, Genoa, Nebraska The Indian Industrial School at Genoa, Nebraska,
was the fourth nonreservation boarding institution established by the
Office of Indian Affairs. The facility opened on February 20, 1884, and,
like other such schools, its mission was to educate and teach Christianity
to Native American children. The village of Genoa was selected because
the Federal Government already owned the former Pawnee Reservation property
there; however, existing buildings at the site were unsuitable and in
poor repair. Like many buildings designed for Indian school campuses,
this was a simple three-story structure with a hipped roof and a small
triangular pediment above the center entrance. The pairs of tall windows
and the strong horizontal lines across the front created a balanced composition.
This was a popular design during the late 1880s.