In May 2011, the NPRC completed construction of its new facility, located at 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO. As soon as construction was complete, the NPRC began moving records into the new building. While the building and its Research Rooms are open for business; the records move will continue into the Fall of 2012. Detailed plans have been developed to minimize the unavailability of records during the move.
The Archivist of the United States, David S. Ferriero, formally "opened" the building in a special dedication ceremony that took place on October 15, 2011.
The new NPRC is located at 1 Archives Drive, Saint Louis, MO 63138 in suburban North St. Louis County, near the intersection of U.S. 367 and Interstate 270. This facility, with the capacity for more than 2.3 million cubic feet of records, will be home to all of the Agency's archival and permanent records, once the move is complete. Holdings will, eventually, include all Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Organizational and Auxiliary files, and Official Personnel Folders (OPF) of former civilian Federal personnel who separated prior to 1973. The new facility will also be home to over 600 NPRC staff and over a dozen other Federal agencies. It has a state-of-the-art preservation laboratory for records conservation, a large public research room, and a multi-purpose room for meetings and public outreach.
In 2009, the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) also completed its move into the new Valmeyer, IL Annex. The Annex, along with the new 1 Archives Drive facility, will replace the aging buildings located at 9700 Page Avenue and 111 Winnebago Street in St. Louis, MO, in compliance with federally-mandated records storage requirements (36 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), 1228, Subpart K), as well as NARA Directive 1571 for proper storage of archival records. The new facilities are designated as "The NPRC" and the "The NPRC Annex."
In 2009, the National Archives completed its move into the NPRC Annex, at 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The facility, which is located in a retrofitted limestone cave, has an approximate holdings capacity of 2.5 million cubic feet and primarily houses temporary records. Such records include military medical treatment records and Official Personnel Folders (OPF) of former civilian Federal personnel who separated after 1973.