Federal Records Centers

FRC Temporary Closure Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I request records from the Federal Records Centers Program (FRCP) during the COVID-19 closure?
Yes. The FRCP is closed but will respond to emergency requests for records.

Q. How can a Federal Agency determine if the records request is considered an emergency?
It is up to the agency to determine if requests are an emergency. Any questions should be referred to your Agency Records Officer (ARO)

Q. How can I submit an emergency reference request for records?
. Step 1 - Emergency reference requests should be submitted in ARCIS to the FRCP with a service level category of Emergency versus Standard (the default setting for routine reference requests) to help us identify these time sensitive records needs.
Step 2 - Requesters should ensure that the “ship to” address for the request is accurate and the point of contact information is complete and accurate to assist us in processing the request.
Step 3 - Requesters should contact the FRC Emergency Contact directly to establish the time-line to fulfillment and confirm the shipping information. FRCs will also process your faxed or emailed emergency reference requests that adhere to the steps noted above.

Q. How do I find the FRC Emergency Contact information for my local Records Center?
Your ARO has been provided with a list of emergency contacts at the FRC. If you are not able to reach your ARO, please contact your FRC Account Manager.

Q. Are there additional charges related to processing Emergency Reference Requests?
. Yes. Emergency Reference Requests will be processed during normal business hours. Standard charges apply in addition to service code HR - Rush with a unit cost of $4.50 per request. Emergency requests which need to be fulfilled after normal business hours will have the service code RI - Emergency After Hours with a unit cost of $500.00 applied.

Q. Can we still submit routine reference requests to the FRC via ARCIS during this COVID-19 closure?
. Yes. However, non-emergency reference requests will not be processed until the FRCs are re-opened.

Q. Can we submit new records transfer requests to the FRCP in ARCIS during the COVID-19 closure.
Yes. Teleworking FRCP employees are able to process transfer requests received electronically. You can coordinate the shipment of the records with your local FRCs once we have re-opened.

Q. Question: Are the FRCs processing approvals for records disposals?
Yes. Teleworking FRCP employees are able to process disposal approvals received electronically. However, the physical destruction of records is on hold until the FRCs are re-opened.

Q. Are the FRCs processing ARCIS updates/corrections?
Yes. Teleworking FRCP employees are able to make ARCIS updates and acknowledge that the changes were completed.

Q. Can I contact FRC staff?
Yes. Customers with routine inquiries can direct them to the General Transfer or General Reference email address for your local FRC, Local FRC General Transfer an General Reference Email Address List. Teleworking FRCP employees are monitoring those email accounts, and they will respond with appropriate guidance. You can also contact your FRC Account Manager.

Q. How will Federal Records Centers be secured during this closure?
The FRCP will continue to store and safeguard all Federal agency records in its custody using all existing security procedures during the closure.