Group Tours at the National Archives in Kansas City
The National Archives at Kansas City is one of eleven field locations within the National Archives and Records Administration. The Kansas City office is located off Pershing Road and has over 192,000 cubic feet of records from over 100 federal agencies including: Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. District Courts, Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Food Administration, National Park Service, Environmental Protection Agency, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Prisons, and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to name a few.
The National Archives at Kansas City is open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. for research and exhibit viewing.
Currently, the We the People exhibition is available for group tours. We the People highlights the millions of records that give insight into the lives of ordinary people. Nearly all Americans can find themselves, their neighbors, their ancestors, or their community in the records of the National Archives. In addition, a facsimile of the United States Constitution is included in the exhibit. Group tour participants will also:
- learn about the National Archives as an independent Federal agency;
- discover the architectural significance and history of the Adams Express building which houses the National Archives at Kansas City; and
- view the paintings and hear about the artist, who produced the twin Art Deco murals created for the Works Progress Administration that hang on the walls in the facility.
To schedule a Group Tour please contact the public programs staff:
Information about Scheduling a Tour
- Guided tours are available for small groups of no more than 12 people and are scheduled based upon staff availability. If you prefer, you may also take a self-guided tour during regular facility hours.
- Cost: Free! There is no fee to tour the facility.
- Hours: Tours may be scheduled Monday-Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. (Facility hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) The National Archives is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and Federal holidays.
- You must call at least two weeks in advance to schedule a group tour. Group tours can be booked up to three months in advance. Please be prepared to provide the following information: date you would like to schedule a tour, time of arrival, time of departure, total number of adults, contact person, phone number, and an e-mail address.
- Please allow a minimum of 45 minutes for a tour.
- Please notify us as soon as possible if you need to cancel or postpone your tour. If you cannot arrive at the archives within 15 minutes of your scheduled appointment, please call 816-268-8000. Failure to notify of us of any changes in arriving could result in a cancelled tour
- Please enjoy our exhibits with your eyes and not your hands. Help us preserve the items on display for future generations.
- No food, drink, tobacco products, or chewing gum is allowed in the exhibit galleries.
- Please put all cell phones on “vibrate” during the tour and refrain from answering cell phones unless it is an emergency.
- No flash photography is allowed in the exhibit galleries.
- Visitors who cause or risk damage to the facility or disturb other visitors will be escorted out of the building.
- Upon arrival, let the person stationed at the Front Desk know that you are here for a scheduled tour and tell them the number of people in your group.
- Restrooms are available on the main floor and the concourse level (basement). Water fountains are also available.
Location and Parking
The Archives is located at 400 West Pershing Road, Kansas City, Missouri 64108. Parking is available directly in front of our facility. Groups coming on small buses/shuttles can drop-off and pick-up near the front doors. The shuttle bus parking zone is located along the fence directly north of the National Archives building.
- The National Archives at Kansas City is ADA compliant and is therefore accessible to all persons. A limited number of manual wheelchairs are available for visitors on a first-come, first-serve basis; identification must be presented to use them.
- Sign language interpreter services are available for visitors with at least 14 business days advance notice. To request services please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-268-8072.
- Nearby restaurants can be found here.
- Nearby hotels can be found here.
School group tours are not available at this time. Students are welcome to visit with their families and/or friends and take a self-guided tour.