Guide to Senate Records: Chapter 7 Science and Transportation
Chapter 7. Records of the Committee on Commerce and Related Committees, 1816-1968
Records of Committees Relating to Commerce, 1816-1988 from Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States
Committee records discussed in this chapter:
- Commerce and Manufactures Committee (1816-25)
- Commerce Committee (1825-1946)
- Manufactures Committee (1825-1946)
- Pacific Railroad Committee (1863-73)
- Railroads Committee (1873-1921)
- Pacific Railroads Committees (1889-1921)
- Transportation Routes to the Seaboard Committee (1879-1921)
- Mississippi River and Its Tributaries Committee (1879-1921)
- Interoceanic Canals Committee (1899-1946)
- Fisheries Committee (1884-1921)
- Industrial Expositions Committee (1899-1921)
- Standards, Weights, and Measures Committee (1909-21)
- Interstate Commerce Committee (1887-1946)
- Interstate and Foreign Commerce Committee (1947-61)
- Commerce Committee (1961-68)
- Aeronautical and Space Sciences Committee (1958-68)
Records of the Committees on Commerce, 1969-76, and Commerce, Science, and Transportation, 1977-
7.150 For the full committee, there are major series of general subject files, legislative case files, and executive communications for each Congress. Other series, including nominations, executive session and markup transcripts, staff correspondence and subject files, and petitions, have been transferred for certain Congresses. Records of the following subcommittees have also been transferred: Aviation (51 ft.); Business, Trade, and Tourism (3 ft.); Communications (33 ft.); Consumer (85 ft.); Environment (3 ft.): Foreign Commerce and Tourism (9 ft.); Investigations (3 ft.); Merchant Marine and Fisheries (37 ft.); National Oceans Policy (2 ft.); Oceanography (1 ft.); Oceans and Atmosphere (3 ft.); Science Technology, and Space (28 ft.); and Surface Transportation (85 ft.).
This Web version is updated from time to time to include records processed since 1989.
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to the Records of the United States Senate at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition (Doct. No. 100-42). By Robert W. Coren, Mary Rephlo, David Kepley, and Charles South. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1989.