Record Groups 306 - Donated Materials
- Introduction, How to Use This Guide, Explanation of Record Group Entries
- Alphabetical List of Record Groups
- Numerical List of Record Groups
- Record Groups 3 through 41
- Record Groups 52 through 96
- Record Groups 103 through 190
- Record Groups 202 through 293
- Record Groups 306 through Donated Materials
Records of the U.S. Information Agency
The U.S. Information Agency (USIA) was established by Reorganization Plan No. 8 and an Executive order of August 1, 1953. It carries out international information activities under the U.S. Information and Exchange Act of 1948, as amended, and international activities under the U.S. Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961. The purpose of the USIA is to help achieve U.S. foreign policy objectives by influencing public attitudes in other nations and by advising the President, his representatives abroad, and various departments and agencies on the implications of foreign opinion for present and contemplated U.S. policies, programs, and official statements. The media services of the USIA include the Voice of America, which produces and broadcasts radio programs in English and other languages.
Volume: 148 cubic feet
Records of Voice of America. The records document overseas broadcasts and include cover sheets; scripts with notes of deletions, additions, and revisions; and other background material.
Folder title list.
Records of the U.S. Court of International Trade
This court was established originally as the Board of U.S. General Appraisers by an act of June 10, 1890, that conferred upon it jurisdiction held before that time by the U.S. district and circuit courts in actions arising under the tariff acts. An act of May 28, 1926, created the U.S. Customs Court to supersede the board, and by acts of August 7, 1939, and June 25, 1948, the court was integrated into the U.S. court structure, organization, and procedure. An act of July 14, 1956, established the court as a court of record of the United States under article III of the Constitution. The Customs Court Act of 1980 renamed the court the U.S. Court of International Trade and gave it jurisdiction over any civil action against the United States arising from Federal laws governing import transactions. The court is composed of a chief judge and eight judges, and although its offices are located in New York City, the court is empowered to hear and determine cases arising at any port or place within the jurisdiction of the United States.
Volume: 359 cubic feet
Records of the Board of U.S. General Appraisers. The records relate to protest and reappraisement cases heard by the Board and include correspondence, judgment and order books, letters of appointment, and reports on meetings.
Folder title list.
Record Group 323
Records of the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration
The Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration (PRRA) was established in the Department of Interior on May 28, 1935. The agency's goals were to increase employment, provide relief, and rehabilitate the agricultural economy in Puerto Rico. It administered and initiated urban and rural housing projects, assisted in establishing cooperatives, constructed a cement plant and hydroelectric plants, and granted loans to farmers. The Secretary of the Interior terminated the agency on February 15, 1955.
Volume: 584 cubic feet
Records of the Office of the Administrator in Puerto Rico. The records relate to administrative and program matters and consist primarily of correspondence.
Records of the Office of the Assistant Administrator in Puerto Rico. The records document PRRA efforts to rehabilitate the agricultural economy by constructing rural and urban housing, establishing agricultural and manufacturing cooperatives, and introducing hydroelectric power. They are administrative correspondence, land acquisition case files, legal opinions, memorandums, plans, and reports.
Mario D. Fenyo and Mary J. Schmittou, comps., Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration, PI 152 (1963).
Record Group 334
Records of Interservice Agencies
During World War II, about 75 major interservice agencies representing two or more military services were created. Most were discontinued after the war, but some concerned with peacetime military activity were eventually placed under the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
The Army Exchange Service was established in 1941 to provide merchandise and services to active duty, National Guard, reserve, and retired military persons. In 1948, it was redesignated the Army-Air Force Exchange Service. With headquarters in Dallas, it operates stores, food facilities, service concessions, automotive facilities, and motion picture theaters worldwide.
Volume: 28 cubic feet
Records of the Army-Air Force Exchange Service, New York City, relating to printing orders for bulletins, pamphlets, promotional leaflets, and publications. They are case files.
Folder title list.
Record Group 336
Records of the Office of the Chief of Transportation
The Office of the Chief of Transportation was established in the Services of Supply (SOS), War Department on March 2, 1942, to head the Transportation Division. It was abolished by General Order 39 of December 1, 1964.
Within the United States, the Office administered a variety of field installations and functions, including ports of embarkation, port agencies, transportation depots, offices, and zones.
Volume: 99 cubic feet
- Army Warship Contracting Agency, New York City;
- New York Port of Embarkation, New York City;
- Second Transportation Zone, New York City.
Record Group 338
Records of U.S. Army Commands, 1942-
The present system of U.S. Army commands, which are organized both functionally and geographically, emerged from a War Department reorganization of February 28, 1942. The system has a complex administrative structure including massive domestic and overseas operations.
Volume: 35 cubic feet
- Belle Meade General Depot, Somerville, New Jersey;
- Delaware Sub-Depot, Pedricktown, New Jersey;
- Fort Buchanan General Depot, Fort Buchanan, Puerto Rico;
- Schenectady Depot, Schenectady, New York;
- Seneca Depot, Romulus, New York;
- 300 Publications Depot, New York, New York.
The records document quartermaster activities at the depots and include
installation histories, manuals, orders, planning files, and reports. Nontextual
records include photographs.
Records of the following military hospitals:
- Patterson Army Hospital, Fort Monmouth, New Jersey;
- Rodriguez Army Hospital, Fort Rodriguez, Puerto Rico;
- U.S. Army Hospital, Fort Jay, New York;
- U.S. Army Hospital, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, New York;
- Wilson Army Hospital, Fort Dix, New Jersey.
Records of the New York Procurement District, New York City. The records document the management and oversight of military procurement, and are primarily case files.
Folder title lists.
Record Group 342
Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations
The U.S. Air Force (USAF) was established in 1947 as the successor of the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF), which had developed from a series of military air services dating back to 1907. The record group consists of records of the field organization of the USAF and its predecessors.
Volume: 5 cubic feet
Records of the 52nd Combat Support Squadron, Suffolk County Air Force Base, New York. The records document construction projects and modifications undertaken at the installation. They are case files consisting of bids, contracts, correspondence, and specifications. Nontextual records include drawings.
Record Group 392
Records of the U.S. Army Coast Artillery Districts and Defenses, 1901-1942
In 1901, the Artillery Corps was divided into field artillery batteries and coast artillery companies under newly created artillery districts. Each district consisted of harbor defense forts, with accompanying minefields and land defenses. In 1913, the coast artillery districts were redesignated coast defense commands.
Volume: 74 cubic feet
- Battery Arnold, Fort Mott, New Jersey;
- Coast Defenses, San Juan, Puerto Rico;
- Coast Defenses, Southern New York;
- Eastern Artillery District of New York;
- Harbor Defenses, Eastern New York;
- Harbor Defenses, New York;
- Harbor Defenses, Long Island Sound;
- Harbor Defenses, Sandy Hook, New Jersey;
- Headquarters of the Battalion, San Juan, Puerto Rico;
- Middle Atlantic Coast Artillery District, Fort Totten, New York;
- Second Coast Artillery District, Fort Totten, New York.
Sarah D. Powell, comp., Preliminary Inventory of the Textual Records of United States Army Coast Artillery Districts and Defenses, 1901-42, NM 88 (1967).
Record Group 406
Records of the Federal Highway Administration
The Department of Transportation Act of 1966 established the Federal Highway Administration (FHA) and transferred to it the Bureau of Public Roads (see RG 30). The FHA administers Federal financial assistance to the States for highway construction and conducts research and programs relating to highway safety.
Volume: 12 cubic feet
Records of Federal aid projects in New York State. The records document acquisition of rights-of-way, construction, and repair. They are project case files. Nontextual records include drawings.
Folder title list.
Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-
The Adjutant General's Office was given authority to assign, promote, transfer, retire, and discharge all Army officers and enlisted men under the National Defense Act of 1916. In 1942, it was placed under the Commanding General, Services of Supply (later Army Service Forces). It has responsibility for administrative services including records accounting, management, and publications. The Office's responsibilities were transferred in 1946 to the General Staff, and in 1947 to the new Department of the Army, Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel. By memorandum, U.S. Army Chief of Staff, November 17, 1986, the Adjutant General was removed from the Army Staff, and title and lineage were transferred to the Director of Personnel Service Support, Military Personnel Center.
The AGO had responsibility for such administrative services as operation of the Army personnel statistical and accounting system, records management, publications, postal services, and special and heraldic services of the Army. The field offices of the AGO within the United States include publication centers.
Volume: 1 cubic foot
- New York Adjutant General Depot, New York City;
- New York Adjutant General Regional Office, New York City;
- Recruiting Publicity Bureau, Governors Island, New York.
Record Group 414
Records of Regional Committees and Commissions
Records of the Federal Regional Council--Region 2
Federal Regional Councils were established by an Executive order of February 10, 1972. The councils were mandated to improve coordination of the categorical grant system. Federal Regional Council activities included: (1) improving the delivery of Federal grants by alleviating inconsistent planning requirements and coordinating and integrating Federal planning grants; (2) acting as the State and local communications channel on problems and issues concerning Federal programs in each region; (3) assisting State and local governments in analyzing and coordinating events that caused major regional change, such as energy developments, large-scale disasters, and military base realignments; and (4) mobilizing Federal assistance to enhance the ability of States and localities to manage their affairs. Federal Regional Councils were abolished by Executive Order 12407 of February 22, 1983.
Volume: 7 cubic feet
Records of the Office of the Federal Regional Council, region 2 (New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands). The records document council activities such as conduct of conferences, formulation of annual work plans, and provision of technical assistance to State and local government agencies. Included are correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, project case files, and publications.
Folder title list.
Record Group 452
Records of the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration
The American Revolution Bicentennial Administration (ARBA) was established by an act of December 11, 1973, to stimulate, coordinate, schedule, and facilitate the planning and implementation of projects, events, and activities to celebrate 200 years of American life. It replaced the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, which was established by an act of July 4, 1966. The ARBA worked closely with State Bicentennial Commissions to plan and conduct a wide variety of programs and provided grants-in-aid for various activities. The ARBA was terminated on June 30, 1977, pursuant to the terms of the 1973 act.
Volume: 2 cubic feet
Records of the New York regional office. The records relate to the commemorative program and committee membership for each participating municipality in New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Included are calendars of events, correspondence, lists, memorandums, newspapers, publications, completed questionnaires, and souvenir journals. Nontextual records include photographs.
Record Group 489
Records of the International Trade Administration
The International Trade Administration (ITA) was established by the Secretary of Commerce on January 2, 1980. It is the successor to the Bureau of Foreign and Domestic Commerce. The mission of the agency and its predecessors is to promote world trade and strengthen the international trade and investment position of the United States. ITA investigates foreign commercial and industrial conditions, and administers U.S. antidumping and countervailing duty laws.
Volume: 36 cubic feet
Records of the Investigations Division, Office of Export Control. The records document investigations of individuals and businesses that allegedly violated export regulations. They are case files consisting of correspondence, informants' statements, intelligence information, investigation reports, and warning letters.
Folder title list.
Access to some investigative case files may be restricted because of law enforcement needs or privacy concerns.
Records of the United States Marshals Service
The Judiciary Act of September 24, 1789, made provision for U.S. attorneys and marshals who are appointed by the President and have functioned under the general supervision of the Department of Justice since its creation in 1870.
U.S. marshals execute and serve writs, processes, and orders issued by U.S. courts, U.S. commissioners or magistrates, and commissions. They also notify the Department of Justice of defiance of Federal authority.
Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
Records of the U.S. Marshal for the Southern District of New York. The records document administrative activities and the delivery of prisoners and witnesses to the U.S. Attorney. The records are correspondence and orders.
Related Microfilm Publications
M699, Letters Sent by the Department of Justice: General and Miscellaneous, 1818-1904;
T577, Index to Names of U.S. Marshals, 1789-1960.
Publications Relating to the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
Volume: less than 1 cubic foot
The Conservator, Volume 1, Numbers 1-14, a weekly newspaper which reported activities of the CCC in the Third New York District, and the First Report of the Director of Emergency Conservation Work, April 5, 1933 to September 30, 1933.