Additional FOIA Resources
U.S. Department of Justice Office of Information Policy (OIP)
- Department of Justice FOIA Homepage
Gives links to an abundance of information about the FOIA.
- Principal FOIA Contacts at Other Agencies
Gives the contact information for FOIA Officers in Agencies all in one place.
- Download a complete listing of all FOIA contacts across Federal departments and agencies
To download a complete listing of all FOIA contacts across Federal departments and agencies, click the link above. Next, scroll to the section of the "Developer Resources" page that says "FOIA Contacts Download" and click on the "Download the full FOIA contacts list" link.
- Department of Justice Guide to the Freedom of Information Act
An overview discussion of the FOIA procedural requirements, exemptions, and litigation considerations.
"A Citizen's Guide to Using the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act of 1974 to Request Government Records"
House Report 108-172, The Committee on Government Reform of the House of Representatives
"Your Right to Federal Records: Questions and Answers on the Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act"
A joint publication of the General Services Administration and the Department of Justice. Provides basic guidance about the FOIA and the Privacy Act.
Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- First Amendment Center
Serves as a forum for the study and exploration of free-expression issues, including freedom of speech, of the press and of religion, and the rights to assemble and to petition the government
Links to State public record laws
- FOIA Blog
A web site for blogging about everything FOIA and government disclosure
- FOI Advocate Blog
The official blog of the National Freedom of Information Coalition and the FOI Advocate
- National Freedom of Information Coalition
Tracks news, stories that used open records laws, and policy developments
- News Media Alliance
Writes periodic updates on FOIA policy developments
- Measuring Transparency Under the FOIA- CREW/Openthegovernment.org report, Dec 2011
- The Radio-Television Digital News Association
Section on FOIA under "Best Practices" addresses current issues
- News Media for Open Government
- FOIA Files
Searchable collection of over 600 news and other stories that the federal FOIA made possible
- FOIA Files
- PBS History Detectives
A brief primer on what to expect when filing a FOIA request.
- Bloggers' Legal Guide to FOIA
Electronic Frontier Foundation-explains the FOIA, gives tips on how to make a request, gives advice on what to expect when making a request, as well as explains the rights of requesters
- Society of Environmental Journalists
Policy developments on federal openness and secrecy, including FOIA, as well as access to environmental information.
- Society of Professional Journalists
Includes a FOI audit toolkit, and other resources
- Archive-It FOIA Collection
Collection of sites that deal with Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and documents, run by the Internet Archive
- Government Attic
Provides electronic copies of interesting Federal Government documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act
- Scribd.comCollection by FOIA requester groups of hundreds of documents acquired through the FOIA and other public disclosure, or "sunshine," laws
- National Security Archive at George Washington University
Publishes declassified documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act
Provides a service to file FOIA requests and posts released documents with the requests