The National Archives Launches New Online Print Shop
Press Release · Wednesday, November 25, 2009
The National Archives announces the opening of its new online Print Shop in partnership with Pictopia, Inc., the premier photo commerce provider to some of the world’s top media companies and educational and cultural institutions. Prints of more than 1,200 historical and contemporary photographs, World War I and II posters, drawings and sketches, maps, and ship plans are now available for purchase online. These striking images have been painstakingly reproduced on archival paper from digital files housed at the National Archives.
Highlights of the introductory collection include:
- Portfolios of some of the nation’s finest photographers, including Ansel Adams, Mathew Brady, Lewis Hine, and Dorothea Lange
- Photographs of the American City—its development and its people and their way of life from the early 19th century to recent times
- Meticulous drawings of early sailing ships from the Charles Ware collection
- Beautifully rendered architectural drawings of Cape Hatteras, Cape Canaveral, and Execution Rocks lighthouses among others
- Unusual patent drawings for household products, design trademarks, and curious inventions
- Photographs and elegant watercolor sketches of famous American monuments, including the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the Statue of Liberty
- Colorful watercolor illustrations of 19th-century landscapes of the American West
- Rarely seen World War I and II posters from the records of the U.S. Food Administration and the Office of Government Reports
Customers can order a print, custom framed or unframed, in a variety of sizes, as well as gift items such as mugs, ornaments, and puzzles that feature the image of their choice. New images will continue to be added to the collection regularly.
Mark Liebman, CEO of Pictopia, said, “Pictopia is pleased to partner with The National Archives to expand its web site features and make a selection of its vast holdings accessible in new ways. Our strategic partnership will make it possible to offer high-quality, innovative products and superior customer service. Working together we will achieve new revenue to help support the programs of the National Archives and grow our respective enterprises.”
About the National Archives
The National Archives and Records Administration, an independent Federal agency, is the nation's record keeper. Founded in 1934, its mission is unique —to serve American democracy by safeguarding and preserving the records of our Government, ensuring that the people can discover, use, and learn from this documentary heritage. We ensure continuing access to the essential documentation of the rights of American citizens and the actions of their government. We support democracy, promote civic education, and facilitate historical understanding of our national experience. The National Archives meets a wide range of information needs, among them helping people to trace their families' history, making it possible for veterans to prove their entitlement to medical and other benefits, and preserving original White House records. The National Archives carries out its mission through a nationwide network of archives, records centers, and Presidential Libraries, and on the Internet at www.archives.gov.
# # #
For more information, contact the National Archives Public Affairs Staff at 202-357-5300.
Pictopia, located in Emeryville, Calif., is the premier photo commerce provider to the owners of large image collections enabling them to sell their photos and related products directly to consumers. Clients include The Associated Press, National Geographic, and The Washington Post. Pictopia also provides the highest quality photographic services to professional and amateur photographers, museums, galleries, and corporations. For more information, please visit www.pictopia.com.
This page was last reviewed on June 17, 2019.
Contact us with questions or comments.