Federal Requirements for Including Recordkeeping in Agency Electronic Information Systems
ATTENTION! The content on this page will be removed in 30 days on November 30, 2018. It has either been superseded or is no longer current. Please update your bookmarks and send any questions to PRMD@nara.gov.
- 36 CFR 1234.10 requires agencies to establish procedures for addressing records management requirements, including recordkeeping requirements and disposition, before approving new electronic information systems or enhancements to existing systems.
- OMB Circular A-130, par. 8a (1) (k) requires agencies to incorporate records management and archival functions into the design, development, and implementation of information systems.
- OMB Circular A-11, Section 300.3 requires that the capital planning process integrate the planning, acquisition, and management of capital assets into the budget decision-making process, and is intended to assist agencies in improving asset management and in complying with the results-oriented requirements.
- Paperwork Reduction Act, §3506 par. (f) requires agencies to implement and enforce applicable records management procedures, including requirements for archiving information maintained in electronic format, particularly in the planning, design, and operation of information systems.
- Clinger-Cohen Section 5125(b) requires the Chief Information Officer to implement policies and procedures of the Paperwork Reduction Act and promote the effective and efficient design and operation of all major information assets for which the agency is responsible, including internal audits.
- FIPS 199 provides guidance on identifying high-risk information systems and necessary controls to adequately secure information and ensure it is of high integrity and available for use. FIPS 199 should be used in conjunction with NIST 800-37 and NIST 800-53.
- Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) codifies uniform policies for acquisition of supplies and services by executive agencies. This includes the purchase of Information Technology products and services.
View the Records Management Handbook
- Records Management Handbook Home Page
- Federal requirements for including records management in agency electronic information systems
- Records management language for contracts
- Guidance and resources for integrating records management into electronic information systems
- Toolkit for managing electronic records