How to Access
- I. Central File (Record Group 59)
- II. Office Files, or "Lot Files" (Record Group 59)
- III. Foreign Service Post Files (Record Group 84)
- IV. Other Record Groups (for specialized topics)
- How to Access the Records
How to Access the Records
Are Department of State documents online in ARC?
- No. Most records in ARC are described at a higher (more general) level. However, some individual items, such as the Zimmermann Telegram in 1917 and Fidel Castro's letter to President Franklin Roosevelt in 1940, have been digitized and are available through ARC.
ARC (Archival Research Catalog)
ARC provides a description of archival holdings by record group, collection, series, and in some cases down to the file units and individual item level. Access ARC at http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/
Write to Us
National Archives staff are available to do limited research and to answer
Mail your request to:
Civilian Reference (NWCTC), Room 2600,
National Archives at College Park,
8601 Adelphi Road,
College Park, MD 20740-6001,
By e-mail: Contact Us
If you send enough information, we may be able to make a specific search and provide information for ordering copies.
Many of the records series of Department of State records have been microfilmed, and are available for review at the National Archives. All the microfilm are available at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. Copies of selected microfilm are also available in the Regional Archives. Check the Microfilm Catalog to find out which locations besides College Park have which microfilm. Microfilm is also available for purchase.
See also the
Diplomatic Records Microfilm Catalog for
To Search the catalog online:
- From the main Microfilm Catalog page, click Advanced Search (next to the Search button)
- In the righthand column, under Subject Catalog, select "Diplomatic Records"
- Enter any related Subject Terms in the line above, such as a country name
- Hit "Search"
For more information, Contact Us
Most of the Department of State records are located in the National Archives at College Park, Maryland.