In the East Rotunda Gallery
National Archives Building, Washington, DC
1297 Magna Carta Encasement Project
On February 17, 2012, the 1297 Magna Carta returns to public display in a state-of-the-art encasement with a new interactive display. National Archives conservators performed an intensive examination and conservation treatment of Magna Carta in 2011. The National Archives partnered with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on the design and fabrication of the encasement.
The 1297 Magna Carta is on loan to the National Archives from David Rubenstein, co-founder of the Carlyle Group.
- New National Archives Video Short Documents 1297 Magna Carta Encasement Project 2/2/12
- Media Alert: Exclusive Press Preview of Newly Re-encased 1297 Magna Carta at the National Archives 1/25/12
- Magna Carta to be Focal Point of New National Archives Exhibition Gallery 2/2/12
- Fact Sheet: New Encasement for the 1297 Magna Carta
- Magna Carta Translation by Professor Nicholas Vincent, Copyright Sotheby's Inc.