Records Management Publications
In compliance with the agency's publication distribution policies, NARA is moving toward disseminating all records management publications and posters primarily via the Internet. The publications and posters may be downloaded and reproduced as needed.
Note: Updated text on posters may vary from online versions.
Mess Up Your Reputation
Organize Your Information
Reminds employees that organized records help agencies provide good service.
Records management steps to take in times of change.
|It's Never Too Early to Think About Records Management
Make records management part of your planning for enterprise content management.
|Overwhelmed by Information? Contact Your Records Officer
Tips for Scheduling Potentially Permanent Electronic Records
These brochures have been superseded by Revised Format Guidance for the Transfer of Electronic Records, NARA Bulletin 2014-04.
Other Records Management Brochures
- What is NARA's Electronic Records Archive (ERA)?
- Records Management Profile Brochure
- Electronic Records Management and Recordkeeping Requirements Checklists (PDF versions only)
- Building Records Management into Business Processes
- How to Prepare for an Appraisal Meeting
- Electronic Records Management (ERM) Resource Guide
- Appraisal Policy of the National Archives and Records Administration
- Transferring Permanent Electronic Records to NARA: Answers to the Top 5 Questions
- Pre-Accessioning: A Strategy for Preserving Permanent Electronic Records
- What you need to know about Recordkeeping Systems
- Disposition of Federal Records
Explains how to develop, implement, and evaluate records disposition programs in Federal agencies. Includes links to the texts of Federal laws and regulations affecting records disposition. (2000 web edition based on the 1997 edition), 141 pp.
- Documenting Your Public Service
Provides basic information to enable you to distinguish Federal records from other documentary materials, including personal files.
- Managing X-ray Films as Federal Records
Provides basic information to enable you to develop, implement, and evaluate X-ray Film records disposition programs in Federal agencies.
- Records Management Self-Evaluation Guide
Provides a high-level framework for evaluating a Federal agency records management program. (2014), 20 pp.
- Records Management Training Catalog
Describes courses and training services offered by NARA's Office of Modern Records Programs, along with related training sponsored by other NARA offices.
- Vital Records and Records Disaster
Mitigation and Recovery
Provides guidance on how to manage vital records throughout their life cycle, to protect them from loss in a disaster, and to assist in recovery should a disaster occur. (1996), 90 pp.
Updated: July 23, 2014