Accessioning Electronic Records
When submitting permanent electronic and special format records to the National Archives for accessioning, please include the following information:
- Volume and date span
- Creating organization
- Description of records
- Access issues (PII, CUI)
- Can the records meet NARA transfer requirements / guidance when eligible for transfer? (i.e. 36 CFR 1235, AC guidance products) If no, what format are the records maintained in?)
Specific information for electronic textual records / email:
- Is the recordkeeping copy currently maintained electronically or in paper?
- Are the records stored in an electronic recordkeeping system?
- Does the agency maintain finding aids or indexes to the electronic textual records? (index to PDFs / correspondence)
Specific information for databases:
- Does the description address the content of the database, versus describing system functionality?
- Is the database documentation readily available?
- If the database files are restricted, can the agency produce a public use version?
- Does the database serve as an index to another permanent series?
Specific information for geospatial data or digital maps:
- Is the geospatial data raster or vector?
- Does the agency maintain finding aids or indexes to the digital maps?
Additional information can be found on the Transfer of Electronic Records page.
Please email Etransfers@nara.gov with any accessioning questions.
Updated: February 14, 2012