General Records Schedules (GRS)
Contact the GRS Team
Is the GRS lacking an item you think should be there? Is something there that shouldn't be? Are you having difficulty interpreting an item? Please tell us! Send to GRS_Team@nara.gov.
Hot Off the Press! An update to the GRS Restructuring Study
A quarterly webinar apprising customers of our progress in the restructuring plan was held November 21. If you missed it, check out these slides.
In October 2012 we released "The New GRS: A Plan for Restructuring and Updating the General Records Schedules". This master-plan document outlined an ambitious 5-year plan for rewriting the entire General Records Schedules (GRS) to reflect the contemporary Federal workplace. On May 2, 2013, we released for agency review six draft schedules, the first fruits of this effort by the GRS Team. Just recently we released two more draft schedules.
Many reviewers noted small discrepancies between the Master Plan and the released drafts schedules, particularly regarding current GRS items originally mapped to a new schedule that did not show up in the the new draft. These discrepancies are because the master plan has morphed in numerous ways as the GRS Team worked through this first year of rewriting schedules. This "GRS Plan Revision Table" details current changes in the master plan pertinent to the draft schedules sent out for comment.
Watch this space! We hope to issue soon an update to the Master Plan so that you are aware of our current thoughts regarding the master crosswalk from the old to the new GRS. As we continue to revise, rework, and restructure particular schedules, we will keep you informed of other alterations in the master plan.
Two New Draft Schedules Released for Comment
The GRS Team has completed drafts of two new schedules, bringing the total currently in active stages of rewriting to 8. Federal agencies have been invited to review these drafts through the end of September. Once agency comments are adjudicated, revised drafts will be published in the Federal Register and comments solicited from the public. These new schedules and their appraisal memoranda, can be downloaded from the links below. If you wish to comment, please use the comment form also downloadable just below. Send your completed comment form to GRS_Team@nara.gov.
DAA-GRS-2013-0007: Information Access and Protection Records
DAA-GRS-2013-0008: Grant and Cooperative Agreement Records
Schedules Currently Being Drafted
Contact the person attached to each schedule if you have questions.
- 2.1 Staff Acquisition Records Galen Wilson
- 2.2 General Employee Management Records Laura McHale
- 2.5 Employee Separation Management Records Galen Wilson
- 2.6 Employee Training Records Susan Means
- 2.8 Employee Ethics Records Laura McHale
- 6.6 Temporary Commission, Board, Council and Committee Records Andrea Riley
- Public Key Infrastructure Records (ultimately part of schedule 3.3) Laura McHale
Useful Info about the GRS Restructuring Project
- "The New GRS: A Plan for Restructuring and Updating the General Records Schedules", released September 2012, contains details about the five-year plan to replace current schedules with new ones.
- Focus groups helped us develop the direction for restructuring. View the presentation slides.
- Why five years? We already anticipated that question. Here's our answer.
Search the GRS
Open this [PDF]. Type Ctrl+F to open a search window.
Download the GRS
Schedule 19. RESERVED
Schedule 22. Inspector General Records (WITHDRAWN)
- Abstract of GRS Transmittals 8-21 [HTML version] [PDF version] [Word version]
- Transmittal No. 22 - (GRS 24 and Authority Citations), April 19, 2010