October 5, 2012
MEMORANDUM TO FEDERAL AGENCY CONTACTS: Release of the GRS Restructuring Study
The General Records Schedule (GRS) Team is pleased to announce the release of the product of our GRS Restructuring Study, "The New GRS: A Plan for Restructuring and Updating the General Records Schedules." The plan, the revised version of the draft proposal released in July, describes how we intend to update and revise the GRS, including expanding the scope of the GRS into new functional areas and including more permanent authorities. It also outlines a structure for the new GRS that arranges GRS schedules by function.
The plan contains the following:
- Background on the Restructuring Project
- How we developed our proposal/plan
- How we plan to develop schedules
- The new organizational structure for the GRS
- A revised project timeline
- FAQs from focus group sessions
- Issues and suggestions from focus group sessions
- Summary of changes from draft proposal
We will be presenting a brief overview of the plan at the October BRIDG meeting on October 17. Information on registering for the BRIDG meeting will be sent in a separate RM Communication. If you have any questions or comments about the GRS plan, please contact the GRS Team at GRS_Team@nara.gov, or Andrea Riley, the project lead, at Andrea.Riley@nara.gov.
PAUL M. WESTER, JR.
Chief Records Officer
For the U.S. Government