Access to the library, circulation of library materials, using online library services, and interlibrary loan.
- Staff at all NARA facilities
- Archives and records management professionals
Staff of all NARA facilities may borrow library materials.
Contact the library reference desk by phone at 301-837-3415 or by e-mail.
- 28 days for books and government documents.
- 2 weeks for audiovisual training materials.
- 1 week for current software manuals.
- Renewals are usually allowed if no reserve is pending.
- Reference Materials
(Photocopies of articles can be provided to NARA staff.)
- New Books stay on the reserved shelf about two months
(Staff may place reserves on new items and be notified when items are released for circulation.)
- The library does not circulate material to individuals other than NARA staff. Request materials via your local library.
- Materials can be used on-site in the library and other research rooms.
- Photocopiers are available.
- Call ahead (301-837-3415) to reserve items for use on Saturdays.
For NARA staff:
The library can obtain material on interlibrary loan for NARA staff.
Contact the library reference desk at 301-837-3415 or by e-mail.
- Loans must be work related.
- Books, articles, and sometimes microforms can be obtained.
- No reference books or complete journals can be obtained.
- Fill time is generally 2 to 4 weeks.
- Loan period is 2 to 8 weeks depending on the lenders policies.
- Renewals may be allowed according to the policy of lending library.
- The library is a lender of last resort.
- Interlibrary loans may not be requested via OCLC;
FAX ALA form to 301-837-0459.
- The library does not lend microforms.
- Microfilm may also be purchased: see Request More Information or Order Copies
Paid subscription databases linked to this web site are restricted to use in NARA facilities
only. Those databases are marked with the icon .
Other users of this web site should contact their local public or university libraries to find out how they may access the subscription databases.