Records of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service [APHIS]
(Record Group 463)
63 cu. ft.
Table of Contents
- 463.1 ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY
- 463.2 RECORDS OF APHIS
55 lin. ft. and 313 rolls of microfilm
- 463.2.1 General records
- 463.2.2 Records of APHIS Central Region (Minneapolis, MN)
- 463.2.3 Records of the Denver Wildlife Research Center (Denver,
- 463.3 STILL PICTURES (GENERAL)
Established: In the Department of Agriculture by Secretary's Memorandum 1914, March 14, 1977, superseding an earlier organization of the same name.
Veterinary health functions:
In the Department of Agriculture (except as noted):
- Treasury Cattle Commission, Department of the Treasury (1881-84)
- Veterinary Division (1883-84)
- Bureau of Animal Industry (1884-1942)
- Bureau of Animal Industry, Agricultural Research Administration (1942-53)
In the Department of Agriculture (except as noted):
- Office of Entomologist, Agricultural Section, Patent Office
- Division of Entomology (1863-1904)
- Bureau of Entomology (1904-34)
- Federal Horticultural Board (1912-28)
- Plant Quarantine and Control Administration (1928-32)
- Bureau of Plant Quarantine (1932-34)
- Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine (BEPQ, 1934-42)
- BEPQ, Agricultural Research Administration (1942-53)
In the Department of Agriculture:
- Plant Pest Control Branch, Agricultural Research Service (ARS, 1953-57)
- Plant Pest Control Division, ARS (1957-70, to Plant Protection and Quarantine)
- Plant Quarantine Branch, ARS (1953-57)
- Plant Quarantine Division, ARS (1957-70, to Plant Protection and Quarantine)
- Plant Protection and Quarantine, ARS (1970-72, to APHIS)
- Animal Disease Eradication Branch, ARS (1953-57)
- Animal Disease Eradication Division, ARS (1957-65)
- Animal Health Division, ARS (1965-70, to Veterinary Services)
- Animal Inspection and Quarantine Branch, ARS (1953-57)
- Animal Inspection and Quarantine Division, ARS (1957-65)
- Veterinary Biologics Division, ARS (1965-70, to Veterinary Services)
- Veterinary Services, ARS (1970-72, to APHIS)
- APHIS (1972-77)
Related Records: Record copies of publications of the Animal and
Plant Health Inspection Service in RG 287, Publications of the
Records of the Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine, RG 7.
Records of the Bureau of Animal Industry, RG 17.
Records of the Agricultural Research Service, RG 310.
|RECORD TYPES||RECORD LOCATIONS||QUANTITIES|
|Textual Records||Washington Area||4 cu. ft.|
|Chicago||5 cu. ft.|
|Denver||50 cu. ft.|
|Still Pictures||Denver||3,625 images|
History: Bureau of Animal Industry, with responsibility for conducting scientific investigations and enforcing regulations and statutes to protect the public from infected or diseased meat products, eradicate animal diseases, and improve livestock quality, established in the Department of Agriculture by an act of May 29, 1884 (23 Stat. 31), consolidating the Treasury Cattle Commission and the Veterinary Division, Department of Agriculture. (For an administrative history of Bureau of Animal Industry predecessors, SEE RG 17.)
Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine, with responsibility for studying and controlling harmful insects and for enforcing plant quarantine and pest control statutes and regulations, established in the Department of Agriculture, effective July 1, 1934, by the Agricultural Appropriation Act (48 Stat. 486), March 26, 1934, consolidating the Bureau of Entomology and the Bureau of Plant Quarantine. (For an administrative history of BEPQ predecessors, see RG 7.)
Bureau of Animal Industry and BEPQ assigned, with other research bureaus, to Agricultural Research Administration by EO 9069, February 23, 1942. Research bureaus abolished by Secretary's Memorandum 1320, supplement 4, November 2, 1953. Functions and personnel of Bureau of Animal Industry and BEPQ (except for BEPQ forest insect disease research, which went to the Forest Service) transferred to newly established Agricultural Research Service, successor by the same authority to Agricultural Research Administration. Regulatory and control activities vested in Plant Pest Control, Plant Quarantine, Animal Disease Eradication, and Animal Inspection and Quarantine Branches, 1953. Redesignated divisions, 1957. Animal Disease Eradication Division redesignated Animal Health Division, and Animal Inspection and Quarantine Division redesignated Veterinary Biologics Division, 1965. Plant Pest Control and Plant Quarantine Divisions consolidated as Plant Protection and Quarantine, and Animal Health and Veterinary Biologics Division consolidated as Veterinary Services, 1970. Regulatory and control functions vested in these units separated from ARS and consolidated as first APHIS, effective April 4, 1972, pursuant to Secretary's order, March 22, 1972. In functional reorganization pursuant to Secretary's Memorandum 1914, March 14, 1977, APHIS meat and poultry inspection functions transferred to newly established Food Safety and Quality Service, and first APHIS superseded by second organization with same name. SEE 463.1.
Textual Records: Microfilm copy of insect surveys, 1868-1970 (313 rolls).
Textual Records (in Chicago): Surveys and reports of predecessor organizations, 1919-70.
Textual Records (in Denver): Research papers and reports, 1917- 81.
Photographs and Color Slides (3,625 images, in Denver): Trapping and poisoning programs, animal habitats, and effects of grazing and browsing on plant life, from various western states; and research center laboratories and personnel, 1920-80.
SEE Photographs and Color Slides UNDER 463.2.3.
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of the United States. Compiled by Robert B. Matchette et al. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1995.
3 volumes, 2428 pages.
This Web version is updated from time to time to include records processed since 1995.